cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Materialized views and data dictionary

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I have a question regarding Oracle Materialized views. I have a situation in which I need to solve problem regarding interfacing SAP database and external oracle database. Since both databases are Oracle 10g, we are considering to use materialized view to transfer table trough dblink from external db to SAP db.

I wander if any of you have such experience dealing with materialized views and possible problems like data dictionary issues etc.

BR

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Materialized views are schema objects that can be used to summarize, compute, replicate, and distribute data. They are suitable in various computing environments such as data warehousing, decision support, and distributed or mobile computing:

In distributed environments, materialized views are used to replicate data at distributed sites and synchronize updates done at several sites with conflict resolution methods. The materialized views as replicas provide local access to data that otherwise has to be accessed from remote sites.

Materialized views are similar to indexes in several ways:

They consume storage space.

They must be refreshed when the data in their master tables changes.

They improve the performance of SQL execution when they are used for query rewrites.

Their existence is transparent to SQL applications and users.

Unlike indexes, materialized views can be accessed directly using a SELECT statement. Depending on the types of refresh that are required, they can also be accessed directly in an INSERT, UPDATE, or DELETE statement.

A materialized view can be partitioned. You can define a materialized view on a partitioned table and one or more indexes on the materialized view

A materialized view contains a complete or partial copy of a target master from a single point in time. The target master can be either a master table at a master site or a master materialized view at a materialized view site. A master materialized view is a materialized view that functions as a master for another materialized view. A multitier materialized view is one that is based on another materialized view, instead of on a master table.

It requires lot of experience thats it.

Regards

vinod

Former Member
0 Kudos

Are you familiar with SAP Note 741478 - FAQ: Materialized views. It says that SAP do not use MV's by default. The only exception in the online reorg facility of BRSPACE. If you're using them, don't forget to schedule the update jobs.