Did you mean: 

brarchive warning with Oracle standby

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello,

during application of redolog on th DR site with command:

brarchive -u / -c -fill -m 1 -p initPRP-rc.sap

we got the following warning due to the fact that the listener on primary site

is on a different network. Everything works fine except for the last log that is

not applied (always n-1).

Is there any way to avoid primary_db connection or is it mandatory ?

Regards

fabio.fortini@sun.com

-

brarchive log

BR0310W Connect to database instance PRP/PRIMARY failed

BR0278W Command output of '/oracle/PRP/920_64/bin/sqlplus':

SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.6.0 - Production on Tue Mar 6 13:11:41 2007

Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

SQL> ERROR:

ORA-12541: TNS:no listener

SQL> ORA-03114: not connected to ORACLE

SQL>

BR0280I BRARCHIVE time stamp: 2007-03-06 13.11.42

BR0279W Return code from '/oracle/PRP/920_64/bin/sqlplus': 0

BR0302W SQLPLUS call for database instance PRP/PRIMARY failed

BR0323W 'Archive log list' for database instance PRP/PRIMARY failed

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

What do you mean by secondary node is on different network? Having another IP-address or subnet should not be a problem for SQL*Net.

Former Member
0 Kudos

maurice,

the questions are:

Why brarchive on standby database have to connect to primary db ?

Can I avoid this ?

It is not a problem of configuring SQL*NET, but I don't want to configure listener on public network.

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Vinod,

what do you mean exactly ?

which sap note are you referring to ?

Regards

fabio

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Sorry, Note 216108.131610 and associated notes mentioned in these notes.

The standby Oracle instance on the second host is in a mounted standby state (not opened) and is recovered constantly. This means that the standby instance incorporates all changes to the data of the primary instance either immediately, or with a chosen delay. To do this, the offline redo log files created in the primary database system are applied (only the redo entries already archived by Oracle can be imported).

BRARCHIVE process on the primary host

This process copies the offline redo log files to an NFS-mounted or remote directory, which represents the archive directory (usually saparch) on the standby host

BRARCHIVE process on the standby host

This process waits for the offline redo log files to be copied into the local archive directory. If a redo log file was copied completely, BRARCHIVE applies these redo entries to the standby instance with the -m|- modify option, backing up the redo log file and deleting it if necessary. Therefore, BRARCHIVE starts the recovery process of the standby database, in which the offline redo log files are processed individually.

Have a look on section of help.sap.com as Standby Database: BRARCHIVE Backup of Offline Redo Log Files

regards

Vinod

Former Member
0 Kudos

Vinod,

As I haved already stated previously, my standby db is up and recovering and the problem I'm reporting is just a warning.

The note you mentioned (131610) seems to answer to my first question:

Why does brarchive on standby database have to connect to primary database ?

> Caution 2:

> -

> Incorrect SQL*Net configuration can also cause problems in BRARCHIVE. If BRARCHIVE cannot link itself to the primary database, then backups are not logged in tables SDBAH and SDBAD and are not visible in transaction DB12. Check the configuration with a BRBACKUP call:

> brbackup -t offline_standby -u system/<password> -q

> In this case, pay attention to possible SQL errors.

The second note you mentioned (216108) makes me suppose you save the archived log on the primary site. In fact I applied note 147858 to save archived logs to tape in the primary site.

Now the question is:

Since I backup the archived logs to tape on the primary site and simply delete them without saving (note 216108) at DR site:

Can I avoid brarchive to connect to primary DB ?

Thanks in advance

fabio

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Certain conditions are required for the connection to a remote host with the Oracle Standby Database. You must be able to manage the primary Oracle instance from the standby instance, that is, you must be able to start up and shut down this instance from the standby host. You must be able to perform these operations from a local SQLPLUS session.

BRARCHIVE and BRBACKUP, which are started on the standby database server, connect remotely to the primary database. Therefore, make sure that the instance string in the primary_db parameter is defined to Oracle SQL*Net in the tsnnames.ora file.

Test the connection in SQLPLUS with the following command:

connect system/<password>@<value_of_primary_db>.

Vinod

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I perfom the brbackup/brarchive on tape even on primary site and I don't intend to open a connection from a DR site with privileges that can easily lead to a human error on the primary site just to have DB13 updated.

You should consider that DR sites are usually managed from external companies and providing access to source system is unacceptable.

Since brarchive on standby database works fine even without reachable primary_db connection I assume the same for the offline_standby backup.

The question is always the same:

Can I avoid brarchive/brbackup to connect to primary DB ?

thanks

fabio

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Ok Control through primary_db and tnsnames.ora file.

Default value for primary_db is None.

vinod

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I assigned primary_db to SID-ORIG in initSID.sap and created an entry SID-ORIG in tnsnames.ora pointing to an IP address and a port where nobody listens.

The result is the periodic warning you can see in my initial post.

All the logs, except the last one, are applied as they arrive: when another log arrives the previous one is applied.

Everything is ok, It is just the warning annoying me.

ciao

fabio

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I guess it will be there.

vinod