cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Value Mapping Replication for Master Data

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I would like to understand your opinions and suggestions before I use the SAP provided Value Mapping Replication Interface in productive environment.

Currently we are on PI 7.01 and maintaining Value Mapping tables over PI ABAP stack only and using RFC lookups. The Value Mapping table is frequently updated from MDM system via a PI Interface.

Now assume if we would need to migrate our system to PI 7.3 single stack, we would definitely need to migrate our Value mapping tables to some other system, out of the various options available I see standard Value Mapping Replication interface as one of the option as mentioned in below link:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/2a/9d2891cc976549a9ad9f81e9b8db25/content.htm

What I understand here is that this interface would use a proxy communication to replicate the Value Mapping table to PI runtime cache and could be accessed via standard graphical function ValueMap.

Below are few questions:

1. Whether it would be a good option for a table which is frequently updated as this would then be a scheduled interface run?

2. What would be a optimized table size for this kind of solution?

3. Instead of using ABAP proxy at source end, can we not directly receive the data from MDM using file or MDM adapters and target channel as it is?

Last and most important question is what in your opinion would be the best way to use Value Mapping tables in PI 7.3 Single Stack systems.

Regards,

Rahul

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rahul,

If you are talking about so many values that often can be changed i recommend you carefully to value mapping mass replication, jdbc lookup can have relevant performance risks.

3. Instead of using ABAP proxy at source end, can we not directly receive the data from MDM using file or MDM adapters and target channel as it is?

You can get the data with any adapter, for the receiver you can only use the proxy.

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Vila for your response.

So what do you propose should be a optimized solution in such a case where Value Mapping table is being frequently updated.

Also this update is done at MDM system and is replicated at backend system via PI interface. So we are looking for a solution which can help the users out of PI to update the Value Mapping table (best via MDM)

Thanks,

Rahul

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rahul,

the best way to replace value mapping in 7.31 is to use a dbLookup. A table in Java stack can store all information. you can retrive relevant information from the table as well as update it directly from MDM using a JDBC interface.

you can have a look at following links which will provide you more information.

http://scn.sap.com/community/pi-and-soa-middleware/blog/2013/03/24/building-a-custom-lookup-service-...

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw73ehp1/helpdata/en/2A/107E72FFFC4B7E96730D2903B17A15/frameset.htm

Please let me know if I understood your question wrong.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Gavaksh Saxeba

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gavaksh,

Thanks for your reply.

I have already seen the links.

Related to the 1st link:

1. It is again a kind of Cache implementation so the concern of maintaining a large data in cache looks issue.

2. Updating the PI DB tables would require a separate interface and will it be a good practice?

For the 2nd link:

1. Again updating the Value Mapping values automatically via a Interface or report would not be possible.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Any help here please..anybody.