cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which is the correct kernel architecture of SAP PI?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi friends,

Kindly check the attachments.I found many structures but ultimately I got confused about which one is the specific architecture? Can anyone tell me what is the difference..Can I also get more conceptual details about the architecture?? Kindly help me freinds since am a novice to SAP PI and am doing my thesis in SAP PI..!!

Thanks alot!!!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vishal,

The answer depends upon the version you are using.  As SAP develops NetWeaver PI, then the architecture develops with it.  For example, under NW 7.4 there is a movement to PI-AEX (Java stack only) which delivers the majority of the funcitonality of the dual stack implementation.    You need to decide which one to focus on, so why don't you refer to the latest documentation on NW 7.4 as below:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw74/helpdata/en/8e/995afa7a8d467f95a473afafafa07e/frameset.htm

Hope this points you in the right direction.

Regards,

Graham

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Graham,

Thanks a lot for the reply...So does it mean that SAP PI does not have any basic architecture using which SAP would have developed newer versions of SAP PI??

Regards,

Vishal

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member193518
Active Participant
0 Kudos

PI-AEX is the cut-down version.

See: http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw74/helpdata/en/a5/f6e04bdc1d4cdbbb32fa52ccdcc419/content.htm

It says:

Since AEX is based on AS Java alone, it is easier to install and maintain as it needs less memory and data storage. Therefore, AEX is a cost-saving option compared to a full installation of SAP NetWeaver PI.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Darryl,

Thanks a lot for the reply...So does it mean that SAP PI does not have any basic architecture using which SAP would have developed newer versions of SAP PI?? Irrespective of the version or installation type used, is there any basic architecture??

Regards,

Vishal

former_member193518
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Vishal,

SAP PI was developed like most products in the SAP technology landscape.  It has grown over time and had additional features bolted on.

The basic messaging system functionality exists in the ABAP stack and was included as a plug-in a long time ago.  Now it is included in ECC.

The adapters and mapping functionality (anything XML) seems to be all included in the Java stack.

Maybe because this uses open standards and common components from open sources.

Essentially, the AEX (new to PI 7.4) is offering a cut-down version, possibly without the business processing / workflow element that you get with the ABAP stack.

I would hesitate to say that this could mean the answer to your question, is the Java stack (and therefore AEX) is the underlying PI technical platform.  But it's not entirely clear.

Regards,

Darryl