cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let's Make SAP Basis/Netweaver Administration interactive !

khampariamukesh
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

With funny mood, let's make Boring Administrative life interactive

You have to do nothing but get a time to answer easy question and ask question for other.

I will start with one simple SAP Basis question, give a correct answer and make a new question so that other can answer..

You might find it easy and silly but it may be lucrative for new joiners.

Condition is , if you are Not answering the question you are not allowed to make a new question. Don't Cheat

Question - Why SAP does SAP recommend having copy of DDIC user for Support Pack work while we have DDIC available in the system?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

Question - Why SAP does SAP recommend having copy of DDIC user for Support Pack work while we have DDIC available in the system?

Question to you:

Where did you see this recommendation ?

You can kick start patching with any user.

For SPDD you need to make sure that you use a user with the full authorizations other than DDIC as DDIC is not allowed to perform modification adjustments.

Read these links:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04s/helpdata/en/60/d6ba7bceda11d1953a0000e82de14a/content.htm

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04s/helpdata/en/2e/6d66617d9011d396b60000e82de14a/content.htm

Additionally DDIC user is the only one allowed to login to the system during an upgrade.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/4f/3eaa7349aa2eb5e10000000a42189c/content.htm

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/4f/40d6d6ed6a2eb3e10000000a42189c/content.htm

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is not really correct. SAP not only recommends creating a copy of DDIC but instead strongly recommends not to use DDIC or SAP* !!

Examples are many.. Here are a few OSS note 994917,1081630,821148, 936977,847019 etc.. Search for "

• Do NOT use the SAP* or DDIC users"

All such SAP notes for installation/upgrades of components clearly make this recommendation.

Though it is a different thing we can use DDIC and many a times have used it.

Again during upgrade if any note has to be implemented or any code change has to be made you cant do it using ddic. You need to unlock the sys and then you can login using your own user .

Coming to reasons there could be potentially many though very little is documented. During the course of these changes there may  be a need to change code/apply note which can't be done using ddic/sap*. Maybe some object locking issues!!

Again there can be questions around transparency i.e establish who actually did it. So probably a named user is better.

Regards.

Ruchit

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Good Day

This is not really correct. SAP not only recommends creating a copy of DDIC but instead strongly recommends not to use DDIC or SAP* !!

What those notes say is :

Log on to client 000 as a user with SAP_ALL authorization. Do NOT use SAP* or DDIC.

There is no reason mentioned and that statement is standard across all the notes you have mentioned. I have done patching with DDIC user and completed without any issues and that is the reason why I said "You can kick start patching with any user"

The point here is why that recommendation from SAP. I have never seen a genuine reason.

The only reason I see is that SAP wants to separate the patching activity under a different user than putting it under the user supplied by them.

Again during upgrade if any note has to be implemented or any code change has to be made you cant do it using ddic. You need to unlock the sys and then you can login using your own user .

Here is what I said:

Additionally DDIC user is the only one allowed to login to the system during an upgrade.

I didn't mention that modification during the upgrade is done under the DDIC user. What I said is that DDIC user is the one who is able to login to the system during an upgrade.

For sure you can login with any user provided you unlock the system.

I am very well aware of how the modification is carried out after unlocking the system and repository.

Regards

RB

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

khampariamukesh
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Guys.. good to see your comments.

@Ruchit Khushu : I did not get time to reply and you did the needful. Thanks.

@Reagan Benjamin: You are right in your point that we can do the patching with "DDIC", there is no doubt. If user is a copy of DDIC then surely it will have sufficient access "Log on to client 000 as a user with SAP_ALL authorization"

Will you make a new question as you guys have answered the question

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Sap ask you to copy DDIC because if you have to adjust SPDD during the support pack upgrade and you want to reset the SPDD in 000 you can do it with copied user id as sap will not allow you to make the change with DDIC .

SO any transport you want to create cannot be created so please copy DDIC to do the support pack upgrade .

Thanks

Rishi Abrol