Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CoA printing and Characteristics version

zgius16
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I have a little problem with printing coa.

In teh system is active the history for inspection characteristics.

I would make sure that the system prints the certificate always in accordance with the version of the characteristics used in the control lot that I'm printing (in particular for description and limits).

I obviously do not want to always create a new version of cert. profile each time I change the version of a characteristic.

I tried to create a cert. profile without entering version at charatteristic level but does not work, for example, for the description of the feature will always print the last active.

Can someone help me?

Thanks & regards

Giu

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yeah.. this can be a problem depending on your design.  If you look at config under the quality certificates section, you will find a node Certificate Profile --> Define Data Origin.

In this area you'll have the ability to configure in new FM's.

Under "Origin of characteristic values" you'll find entries for each option available in the profile.  Right now you probably use "01 - Inspection Result" which if you double click on, you will see it uses the FM QC02_INSPECTION_CHAR_MVALUE.  If you read the info on this module you will see that there is this comment in the help:

"If this module is used for a general characteristic, the system will try to find the link to a master inspection characteristic using the material specification."

So if you link your MIC to general characteristics, and use material specs, and specify the general characteristic in the COA profile but choose 01 as the results origin, this module should get the result regardless of the version number.  General characteristics are not version controlled.  This would require no development.  Of course this might require a massive overhaul of your profiles unless you are in a design phase. And you probably will have to maintain QS61, material specs.  If in production you might be able to write an ABAP to make the mass change for you.  (i.e. look up the MIC, find the general characteristic  linked to it, replace the characteristic and set the other settings as needed).  Or you do the changes over time, as you create new versions of MIC's, you edit the affected profiles.

If you are in production, what you can do is copy the FM QC02_INSPECTION_CHAR_MVALUE to a your own Z named function module.  You modify the FM to deal with the version number as you want it too.  For instance, you check the available MIC version numbers first and it uses the highest version number available.

Or you could modify the custom FM to not require the material spec and just look up the linked MIC.  This would save you from having to maintain the material spec, but would still require you to convert to general characteristics in the profile.

You than have two choices.  One would be modify the 01 entry to utilize your own custom FM.  The second is to create a new option, Maybe 04, that uses your custom module.  Then use an LSMW or ABAP program to change your profiles to use 04 instead of 01 for the results origin.  Updating the 01 value to use your custom module is the easiest, but you do have a slight chance that some day SAP might change it back via a hot pack or upgrade.  But I would say that is a very low probability.

The bigger issue is that once you copy the FM and customize it, any future improvements SAP makes to the original FM will of course not be reflected in your custom FM.  But that also probably has a low chance of happening.

Hope this helps!

FF

zgius16
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Fighter,

thanks for your help.  I just wanted to clarify that I'm not handling the material specificification but inspection plans for creation of inspection lots.

This can affect your answer or not change it?

Thanks

Giu

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think I indicated in the reply where material specifications are required.  If you aren't using them, you'll have to consider one of the other options I suggested.

FF

Answers (0)