Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP_BASIS and SAP_ABA 740 update in SPAM

former_member226851
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone!

I'd like to update SAP_BASIS and SAP_ABA components from version 740 SP02 to 740 SP03 using SPAM transaction, but it always hangs on MAIN_IMPORT phase. I was looking for some information in logs, but I haven't notice any problems. I was already managed to update SAP_GWFND and SAP_UI components without any problems, but now I'm stuck. I always use client 000 and DDIC user.

Does anybody has an idea how to update those components successfully?

Best Regards,

Tomasz Sobkowiak

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member226851
Participant
0 Kudos

And one more thing - when I try to logon using SAP GUI, I get syntax error (attached).

Regards,

Tomasz Sobkowiak

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

For me the patching is still in progress.

Could you check the time stamp of the logs from the last update ?

If the patching is in progress you will be able to see the logs getting updated.

First the logs will be in the /usr/sap/trans/tmp and once a specific activity has been completed the system will move the log to /usr/sap/trans/log directory.

Are you using the parallel import option ?

Regards

RB

paul_power
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tomasz,

It is common to see such syntaxx errors during import of a basis support package as it is changing cross application objects. They should pass once all objects are imported and activated.

Chack the current import phase via os command:

tp showbuffer <SID> pf=/usr/sap/trans/bin/TP_DOMAIN_<SID>.PFL tag=spam

I expect there to be a 1 under Main import column meaning that main import is in progress

(if it has an 8 or 12, then the phase has failed and there should be a SAPIB... or SAPIA... file under usr/sap/trans/log which you need to post the last few pages off to see what caused the import to fail.

Check if tp and R3trans process is avlive at os level and consuming some cpu

Please check the contents under

user/sap/trans/tmp

and

usr/sap/trans/log

check if the timestamps are being updated regullarly, this is a sign that import is proceeding.

I expect you will see SAPKK<basis package number> and SAPIB<support package number>

in usr/sap/trans/tmp

check the last few lines of the SAPIB.... log and see what it is doing last and if this changes every so often.

These packages are much bigger than UI packages so can take some time to import.

Let us know your findings

Best regards,

Paul

former_member226851
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

I've checked and both tp and r3trans are on the processes list, but they are not consuming CPU at all. I've also performed this cmd command, and you can find results attached. Is it mean that everything is ok and all I have to do i wait?

All logs are not changing for 2 hours. SAPIB74003.CR1 log in usr/trans/tmp has 193,173KB size and it doesn't change any more.

Regards,

Tomasz

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you please check that the tablesapce all are good.

Thanks

Rishi Abrol

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

How frequent are the dumps in the system - Tx ST22 ?

What are the dumps called ?

What is the underlying database ? if it is an Oracle database, check the alert log.

Regards

RB

former_member226851
Participant
0 Kudos

Could you specify exactly how to do that?

Regards,

Tomasz

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please use brtools to check the tablesapce space and the table space are less than 90%.

Please check if updating the stat of the database helps

use the below commnad.

brconnect -u / -c -f stats -t all -f collect

Thanks

Rishi Abrol

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tomasz,

In case you are using Oracle try running Oracle space stats. Log into DB server and then execute:

brconnect -u / -c -f stats -t all -m +I -f allsel,collect,method,space -p 4

Also running optimizer stats won't be a bad idea:

brconnect -u / -c -f stats -t all

But try first with space stats.

Any don't worry about the dumps.

Regards.

Ruchit.

former_member226851
Participant
0 Kudos

It appears that user/password is wrong (find attached)..is it possible that this is causes by wrong windows user? (I'm using currently administrator instead of <SID>adm user)

Regards,

Tomasz

Former Member
0 Kudos

Try as <sid>adm.

If that doesn't work then trying using schema user/password

brconnect -u schema/<password> -c -f stats -t all -m +I -f allsel,collect,method,space -p 4

brconnect -u schema/<password> -c -f stats -t all

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

Could you provide the contents of the log file SAPIB74003.CR1 please ?

Also check whether this SAP note is applicable to the system.

Note 1635605 - CLIENT HANGS ON INSERT INTO TABLE WITH SECUREFILE LOB

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Were you able to check the space .

Login to sidadm

just type brtools

chose 2 space managememt.

When was the last log generated in the /usr/sap/trans/tmp or log .

If its long time and no change you need to see it the error is logged in some log.

can you login?

If still not then i think that only solution is to take reboot of the application and see it help you.

Please check the drive where sap is installed has space and the trans directory. Do you have trans mounted or shared and due to some network drop it was disconnected.

Thanks

Rishi abrol

Thanks

Rishi abrol

former_member226851
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

When I logon as <SID>adm I was managed to run brconnect -u / -c -f stats -t all -m +I -f allsel,collect,method,space -p 4 successful - find attached.  Regarding logs, there are no changes since yesterday.. I reboot the whole SAP instance, but it didn't help. I was looking for a issue inside logs, but I didn't find anything..is there any chance to reboot this import? When I try to logon on SAPGUI I get still the same error as before.

Regards,

Tomasz

former_member226851
Participant
0 Kudos

This log has about 200MB size, so I'm not able to provide it here. However, I was looking at the end of this file for some errors, and I didn't find anything. The whole process just stopped, and nothing is happening. Regarding this SAP note I can't apply it now, because I can not enter snote transaction right now, because of syntax error in SAPGUI.

Regards,

Tomasz

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can go for windows reboot but don't think that will help much if system reboot dint help..

Else create a message with sap.

We can import patch through Os level but that's not recommender.

Once you get the dump if you run /nspam does it also gives the same dump.

Can you run any other transaction. line stms.

Thanks

Rishi abrol

paul_power
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tomasz,

If you get syntax error but can access SPAM, please restart the import from their.

If you cannot acces SPAM, you will need to trigger import manually at os level.

Esnure you have a backup made before the start of the spam queue in case you need to restore from that.

Then kill any tp or R3trans at os level.

First of all, please ensure that no tp or R3trans processes are
currently running. Then ensure that tables TRBAT and TRJOB are empty.

Please run the following command from the OS level to correct the
issue.

tp R3I <failed package name> <SID> pf=<path to profile><space>
  -Dclientcascade=yes -Dstoponerror=8 -Drepeatonerror=8<space>
  -Dsourcesystems= tag=SPAM

(The above command should all in one line with <space> denoting one
space)

Above command will finish the MAIN IMPORT of SAPKB70014 which is in the
transport buffer and tagged with SPAM (tag=SPAM). This command will take
care that the correct import sequence is followed.
'-Dstoponerror=8' because the import should stop when an error occurs.
'-Dsourcesystems=' to avoid problems with special tp profile settings.

Please then monitr the SLOG, ALOG, ULOG and the logs in usr/sap/trans/tmp to ensure it is

importing.

Once the manual import completes with return code less than 8, you should be able to logon at R3 level and access SPAM. Complete the import via SPAM

let us know if any issues.

Best regards,

Paul

former_member226851
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you for the long response and help. Unfortunately it didn't help me..I killed tp and r3trans, then I logged as a <SID>adm, and performed tp R3l command. It starts to importing SAPIB74003, but it stops in random places each time when I reboot tp process (i.e. once it imports 22MB file to usr/trans/tmp, once 4MB, and once 14MB...). And there are no errors.. I also tried to reboot SAP instance, but it didn't help. Logs are changing at the beginning, but the they are not changing.

Regards,

Tomasz

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

Is there an OSS message raised ? I would recommend you to contact SAP.

Also check whether this SAP note will fix the issue or not.

Note 1635605 - CLIENT HANGS ON INSERT INTO TABLE WITH SECUREFILE LOB

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Tomasz,

You don't need to restart tp evenrytime it stops. Gotta wait for sometime atleast.

Are we sure that you don't have any database space issues or any other space issues.

Regards.

Ruchit

paul_power
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tomasz,

start the manual import and let it run for a few hours to give it a chance then see if the logs under usr/sap/trans/tmp and usr/sap/trans/log are updated

Keep an eye on the SLOG, sometimes it will have a constantly repeat entry such as

file SAPKK.... is in use waiting 30 seconds

if so, see note: 12746 : WARN <file> is already in use

regards,

Paul

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

former_member226851
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you all for any help you have provided! I finally managed to finish this import by using following command:

C:\Windows\system32>tp R3I SAPKB74003 <SID> pf=\\<SERVER>\sapmnt\trans\bin\TP_DOMAIN_<SID>.PFL tag=spam

Before performing this command I had updated SAP system's kernel, and I think that was the key for this case. After that tp has finished with return code 0 (Everything OK). Then I was able to connect to SAP system via SAPGUI without any syntax errors, and finish import using spam transaction.

Best regards,

Tomasz Sobkowiak

paul_power
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tomasz,

Great to hear the import completed sucessfully

Best regards,

Paul

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

It is normal that the system will dump you out when you login to the SAP system during the patching process.

You will still be able to run Tx's.

Could you check the Tx SPAM on client 000 and if it is stopped on error then repeat the phase.

Then check at the OS level whether the log files are getting updated.

Are there any tp and R3trans processes running at the OS level ? If yes then kill them.

Regards

RB

former_member226851
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

thank you for your responses! Pls find logs attached.

Regards,

Tomasz

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

What I see is the MAIN_IMPORT is in progress.

How many R3trans processes are running at the OS level ?

Note 1309506 - SPAM/SAINT with parallel R3trans

Regards

RB

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

There will be logs in the /usr/sap/trans/log and /usr/sap/trans/tmp locations.

Additionally check whether there are any dumps in the system.

Also check for DB errors

Regards

RB

Nicolas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tomasz,

Without log, it is difficult to help you. Please go through this thread to see how to see SPAM log.

Best regards,

Nicolas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you please post the logs if you got error.

if you have not received the error please check the logs in the transports directory at os level in tmp or log directory in usr/sap/trans

Keep an eye on the archive log are backed up.

Thanks

Rishi Abrol