cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sql backup/restore

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I know this has been discussed in here several times. I did look up on few posts, but am still not clear

I am on Win08 R2. I have an online backup from production (its a BAK file), online sql server backup, and I want to create a new system with new SID.

I want to know the best option to build this new system using this backup.

My understanding (steps) - please correct me if wrong.

1) install SQL Server 2008?

2) Goto SQL Management studio, restore database?

3) SAPINST or SW provisioning manager > system lifecycle options> system copy (hopefully I have an option here which asks me for the backup I have.

Is this correct?

If its not, please advise..

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Jim,

Either of the method can be used .If you are using SWPM than you can proceed with System copy Back up restore or Export import method.

If you are using Sql studio for restoring database ,first install sap system and proceed further but its little bit time consuming instead of that i would prefere System copy Backup restore or export import method using SWPM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Asim for the reply.

Do you mean SWPM export/Import using r3load? I cannot do that as I have to use the same backup file to build the system.

From your answer, you mentioned that I have to install SAP first before restoring. Would it be like below?

1) install sql server 2008

2) install sap server

3) using sql management console, restore the backup I have.

If this is the case, how does the SID change? What all do I need to do if I am doing this way?

Thanks again

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jim,

Please also refer below SAP note which needs to be executed as a part of post system copy to rename the schema and complete the database copy.

Note 683447 - SAP Tools for MS SQL Server

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have seen those notes. Note 151603 - Copying an SQL Server database - I felt was more from an attach/detach perspective. Could you or anyone please help me strategize and execute the build from a practical point of view? Simple steps (1,2,3)?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, but am still in the pre-steps yet.

could anyone list the steps?

am still confused whether I should build the system before restore!!!!!

which option should I take and what are the steps to accomplish (not detailed, just very high level)

1) install sql, full sap system and then restore?

2) install sql, restore during the sapinst/swpm process?

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jim

Before restore the Sql DB in the New system. you have to take export copy of the source system and then follow the steps in the new system

1. Install the windows OS with Latest Service pack & Security updates

2. Install the MS Sql 2008 R2 as per the SAP Standards

3. Restore the Database backup file (*.bak) to the new MS Sql instance.

After restore the DB process starts for System copy

4. Start the SAPINST or SWPM import the system copy.

5. Restore the latest backup from Production to New SID SAP system

Thanks

Sriram