cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with duplicated hostnames

jcarbonell
Participant
0 Kudos

I have installed a new SOLMAN 7.1, and I am connecting now our customer's systems to it. The problem that I am facing is that two customers have the same hostname for their SAP systems. I am collecting the host data with Outside Discovery, using the Diagnostics Agent and the SLD. So, when I added the first customer, it went fine, but when I did it for the second, it did not create a new host, but used the host that had been created for the first one, and changed some of the collected information. So now I have two SAP systems in SOLMAN that are associated to the same host. Has anyone had the same problem? Is there a way to distinguish the hostnames when they are received in the SLD (as it does with the SAP SID, for example, in SOLMAN, adding a sufix)?

Thanks,

Jose

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jose,

I faced exactly the same issue as you did. I had two ABAP-stacks "C11" on Hosts "sapc11"

But I was lucky, as I had some (additional) virtual hostnames for the Systems.

For ABAP-stacks, check out DEFAULT.PFL. Usually, there are entries for SAPGLOBALHOST and SAPDBHOST (for a central System, they are the same, here: "sapc11").

I solved my issue in adding the Parameter SLDSYSTEMHOME and set the value to a virtual hostname. This value is transferred regularly via RZ70, you will see a new entry in SLD.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Dirk

bernie_krause
Participant
0 Kudos

Jose , I'm curious about this.  How do the agents show up in Agent Admin (assuming that they show up there ) - do they have the same server name?  Would changing the Server Name of the agents be enough to differentiate them? 

Bernie

jcarbonell
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Bernie,

It shows only one agent, the one that was registered first, so I do not think it would help. I have opened a message in SAP, and they tell me to chenge the hostname of the second server. Nice solution, isn't it?

Best regards,

Jose

jcarbonell
Participant
0 Kudos

I had already tried to re-install the agent using a different hostname but, as you commented, the installer did not recognize it. I have been looking at using virtual names but, as far as I understand, it means that I have to assign a new hostname/IP address to both, the diagnostics agent, and the SAP systems that run on this customer's servers, so that the technical systems can be assigned to the rcorresponding host. And this is a problem, because the customer will not allow that I change these data for its productive SAP systems. Additionally, we still have more clients to connect to SOLMAN and this problem will probably arise again in the future, so we need a permanent solution.Am I right?

Thanks,

Jose

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

A virtual host name does requires an additional IP address and name (DNS and/or host); however it is not assigned to the DAA/SMD agent, it is assigned to the SAP system.

SAPPrdSrv01 = 10.0.0.1 < Real

PrdSrv01 = 10.0.0.2 < Virtual

DAA/SMD should then use the real, and within SolMan you would set it for Diag on the fly.

But I think you are going to have some odd things occur when you attempt to review data at the host level and SolMan reports various values due to 2 different host SMD/oscol set of metrics coming in for collection...

I also took a quick look at the LMDB and I don't see an easy way to rename a Host system....it may be possible to manipulate some values at the SMD Admin page to force a different name for registration, but I can't say that will a solid solution either...

jcarbonell
Participant
0 Kudos

Yes, this was my conclusion too. I wll contact SAP and see if they can give a solution. Thank you for your help.

Best regards

former_member206167
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Agree with Billy,

Add to your /etc/hosts an entry <hostname>_2 then uninstall current agent. Then install a new agent using virtual hostname <hostname>_2 check new hostname in tx LMDB

Kind regards

former_member264034
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

For more information please refer the following notes:

1052122 : Host names in SLD

1694004   Dealing with duplicate technical system names (SIDs)

Regards,

Aidan

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As a test you can uninstall the agent from the 2nd customer and re-install it and try submitting a different host name then what is assigned on the system...but I think you are going to have issues with the installer verifying the name via DNS/host entry...you may need to virtualize the hostname to get around the issue.