cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the optimal interface design for Finance interfaces (GL Postings)

phanikumar_akella
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Experts

I am working on Finance interfaces (GL postings) File to IDoc. In most of the interfaces I could see good number of calculations, lookups (legacy cost centre to SAP Cost Centre etc). Conditions like creating new IDocs in case if line items are more than 999 records. All these can be achieved in both PI and ABAP areas. Can you please let me know where is the optimal place to perform these.  I think Integration layer should not be overloaded with lookups, etc. Please let me know your views.

Thanks

Phani Akela

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

it should be ABAP (either AIF or some other thing based on templates)

as in case you have many types of FI postings this needs to be understood by FI guys later on and they will not go into PI...

just my view and from my FI posting interface experience,

Regards,

Michal Krawczyk

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

phanikumar_akella
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ambrish

Thanks for your reply. We need to develop around 10+ of such interfaces. I mean, all the interfaces involve 2 to 3 field look ups from ECC. My concern is at least if 5 of these interfaces run at same time. Assuming each file is of 5000 records...what will happen to the performance (PI). Instead of this can we go for a ZIDoc at ECC side?

ambrish_mishra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Phani,

>>>>>interfaces involve 2 to 3 field look ups from ECC

Try and retrieve the fields in a single RFC call if possible. Should not be an issue.

>>>>>My concern is at least if 5 of these interfaces run at same time.Assuming each file is of 5000 records..

5000 records is not much. Interface should get executed within seconds. I have tested with almost 20000 records and it gets executed with one RFC call in 4-5 seconds. So don't worry about performance. PI is capable of much more

Ambrish

ambrish_mishra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Phani,

I differ from other experts here

Based on my experience, I have implemented the design of exactly similar requirement for Gl posting in PI and was thinking of creating a blog for this.

For Look up, I did an RFC look up for company code but made sure I fetched all the values in a single RFC call.

For line items more than 999, I did the splitting of IDocs in PI.

I delivered 2 such interfaces without a bug and they are running fine in production.

There is no standard solution if you want to implement the logic in PI or ABAP and if functional owner faces an issue, they will have to approach a PI or an ABAP developer. In my case, all scenarios and issues were ironed out in testing phase itself

Cheers

Ambrish

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As Michal mentioned implemting in ABAP side best idea.