cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is Step- Down Matrix used in SNP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

What is the Stepdown Matrix concept used in  Raw Material Planning.

Regards

Harsh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Harsh,

I have never heard of step-down used directly in RM planning. 

Step-down is done in manufacturing, to minimize setups, maximize efficiency, and reduce scrap, in industries where different operations within an order execute multiple iterations through the same work center, each time with progressively (either progressively smaller or progressively larger) different setups.  Number of iterations in each order may be different, but the setups are always progressive for each individual order.  Setup time/costs are substantial.  The Step-down matrix allows you define how to plan the execution of your orders and the execution of your operations through the iterative work center in the mid and long term, all the while minimizing setup costs, but also minimizing work in process and staying within capacity constraints.

You would think that such problems would be solved with an optimizer. I once talked to a consulting company who implemented step-down in SNP through SNP Optimizer, where the work center in question was a rolling mill used in manufacturing rolls of sheet steel.  Unfortunately, I have never actually implemented one myself, nor seen one in operation; sorry to say.  I have never seen step-down in SAP's Best Practices(but there are new ones appearing all the time!). There might be something in the DIMP add-on docs, that would be the first place I would search.

It is not clear to me how anyone would apply step-down planning to a RM, which are typically purchased and not manufactured.

Best Regards,

DB49

Former Member
0 Kudos

Cheers

Bingo - We are planning for a Rolling Mill Stepdown Matrix used in SNP Optimiser for  a Steel company only.

We need more relevant information to proceed ahead with it.

Can you please help me to share the link for DIMP addon Documents.

It would be of very great help !!

Regards

Harsh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Harsh,

http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_06/helpdata/en/1c/27a042890a0a31e10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm

Also try the SCN MIll products forum, thoy would probably know more about probems specific to the DIMP solution.

http://scn.sap.com/community/mining-and-mill-products

I am sure that someone there should be able to help you find DIMP links.

Best Regards,

DB49

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manimaran,

There is Stepdown and Step up concept used in planning for Discrete Industry in SNP.

Hope you are aware .

Regards

Harsh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Can anyone help to understand the same.

Regards

Harsh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Can you pls help its bit urgent.

Reagrds

Harsh

m_manimaran
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Harsh,

I never heard about anything called step-down matrix in SNP? Did you mean setup matrix?

What is the business case for which you are looking this?

Regards,

Manimaran M.