cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The adapter engine on the XI server

0 Kudos

Hello

I have a customer that is firstly enquiring what the adapter engine on the server is for (Does it have to be running?) and secondly can it be upgraded independantly of the XI Server? i.e. Can the XI server be on XI SP2 yet the adapter engine, on the same server, be on SP3?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member374
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Roland,

My answers below refer to XI 3.0.

They might not be directly applicable to XI 2.0.

> "I have a customer that is firstly enquiring what the adapter

> engine on the server is for (Does it have to be running?)

The Integration Server is XI's runtime 'backbone'. It is made

up of components:

- the Business Process Engine,

- the Integration Engine, and

- the Adapter Engine.

Thus the Integration Server offers all XI runtime services on

one SAP Web Application Server.

The Adapter Engine will always be installed but may not be used

if no adapters are needed.

Hope this helps, Mark.

0 Kudos

2 cents worth,

In addition to what Mark said, the Adapters can also be installed on a stand alone machine. As an example, the file adapter/jdbc adapter are currently running on my laptop and communicate with the integration server.

Cheers.

...scottd

Former Member
0 Kudos

In XI 2.0, the Technical Adapter is a J2SE application that can be installed on the same server as the Integration Engine or on a different server (e.g. your laptop). For XI 2.0, there is no problem in running the Integration Engine at SP2 and the Adapter Engine at SP3.

In XI 3.0, the Technical Adapter will be a J2EE application that will run on the WebAS's J2EE server. It can also be installed on a different server, but the J2EE server (not WebAS) will have to be installed first. The current J2SE adapter engine will continue to be available, for backward compatibility reasons for existing customers. The J2EE version will be easier to use...no more editing properties files, it will be GUI driven.

Bill