cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using WEBMETHODS in MDM Landscape

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi folks

Please suggest me the possible ways to use WEMETHODS for the integration to MDM.

MDM ---Webmethods  ---Non SAP systems.

MDM ---Webmethods  ---SAP systems.

SAP  --  Webmethods -- MDM

Also pros and cons using WEBMETHODs in MDM Landscape

Regards

Shifali.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shifali,

Web Methods is used for point to point connectivity while SAP PI provides lot more than that.

The biggest benefit one gets is in terms of cost of implementation and time,both are shorter in a case Web Methods.

Additionally,the Web Methods have a  more flexible mapping environment.If an organization already has SAP PI one can extend the usage of SAP PI in one's organization using Webmethods.

So for SAP MDM - WebMethod - SAP system,licensing of PI is free of cost.So PI should be a much better candidate here.

Now coming to other scenario,

SAP MDM - Web Methods - Non SAP

Webmethods has an advantage of cost and time here too.

The usage is decided mainly by -

- Time

- Cost

- Number of integrating systems

- Features required

- Strategic integration(SAP PI) or point to point integration requirement(Web Menthods).

For further details please raise a thread here - http://scn.sap.com/community/pi-and-soa-middleware

Kindly close other answered queries.

Thanks,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

I need some informations about the connection between the two systems SAP MDM and webMethods 8.2.

I need for my project to connect the two platforms :

SAP MDM 7.1 ---> webMethods

I have checked the SAP and webMethods documentation but there is nothing about this kind of connection.

In the past, i have already connect several SAP systems (ECC6) to webMethods with RFC connection but if i understood, SAP MDM is not based on a ECC system but is a standalone application.

So did you already connect these two systems ? If yes, do you have some documentations to know how to do it ?

Thanks you in advance for your help,

Nicolas

shanthi_kumar
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Nicolas,

As you said SAP MDM is not like ECC. And coming to how to integrate Webmethods and MDM, You can achieve this with PI in between. You can establish a connection between MDM and PI and then you can configure the connection between PI and WebMethods.

There are a lot of documents available for PI and WebMethods integration. And the integration is between SAP MDM and PI is quite straight. This could be one of the feasible solutions provided you can afford to have SAP PI in between.

Kind Regards,

Thamizharasi N 

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes, but the decision was taken in our company to choose webMethods instead of SAP PI to connect SAP MDM to NON SAP systems because we haven't the budget to have the two systems.

So we won't have a SAP PI system in our architecture..

Moreover if we could have the two systems (and the budget 🙂 ), i think it's not the best solution to have the following platform :

SAP MDM -- SAP PI --- webMethods -- NON SAP systems

Because the two solutions (SAP PI and webMethods)  have approximatively the same functionnalities (Connection, Mapping etc..)

So we would like to connect directly SAP MDM system to webMethods (webServices ? Possibility to activate ftp server on MDM side ?)

Thanks,

Regards,

Nicolas

shanthi_kumar
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Nicolas,

Not sure about the direct Integration with WebMethods. I have done a lot a search as well, could not find any doc or info related to this. You probably can check with SAP straight away.

Please let us know what you are doing as well:)

Kind Regards,

Thamizharasi N

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

in my last project, we just write some java code to read the xml generated by MDM and send them out through webmethods(web service)

the java code will run as scheduled job in windows, where MDM is installed. it should be no problem if the os is not WINDOS.

shanthi_kumar
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Shifali,

Please tell what are all the systems that lie in your landscape. According to the kind of systems that you have in your landscape the most feasible interface can be decided.

1.SAP  --  Webmethods -- MDM, MDM ---Webmethods  ---SAP systems.

This combination will work better with PI as the middleware, as it is the SAP provided solution. We have  a lot of better options and solutions here.

2.MDM ---Webmethods  ---Non SAP systems.

This solution will also work. Again the interfaces have to be developed according to the options available in web methods.

Pros: If the existing landscape includes a lot of Non-SAP systems and only a very few discrete SAP systems and demands only the use of Webmethods then you can opt for Webmethods .

Cons: In case the landscape includes a high number of SAP systems it is preferred to use PI rather than going for Webmethods.

Please post in your query elaborately.

Kind Regards,

Thamizharasi N