Former Member
0 Kudos

Welcome to the XI Forum!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member

Hi All,

I am working on one of the content development prototype on XI.

I have some doubts related to Graphical Mapping tool.

Can anyone tell me what is the advatages of using XSLT over Graphical Mapping tool.

Regards

Sreekanth

0 Kudos

Hi Sreekanth,

I guess that would depend on the whether or not the XSLT transformations have already been defined and where your knowledge resides. For example, I don't have alot of XSLT knowledge but I do know Java and have used the graphical editor for easy transformations. So guess what, for me I'm using the graphical editor for now until I can learn XSLT.

Cheers.

...scottd

former_member189324
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sreekanth,

It all depends on your Business Scenario, how complex is your XSLD Schema and what kind of Transformations u want to do. There are different options to choose which Transformations u want to use for ur scenario:

1. If the Graphical Mapping Tool can handle all the Transformations u want to use, then use the Graphical Mapping Tool.

2. If there are no standard functions available inside the Graphical Mapping Tool, Then u have to create ur own Java Function to do the Transformations.

3. If the Graphical Tool cannot handle all ur Transformations, then go with XSLT Mapping. XI has its own XSLT Processor. But u have to use ur own XSLT editor and test it before u import them into Integration Repository. U can even call ur own Java Programs inside the XSLT program.

4. If XSLT Mapping cannot handle ur Transformations, then go with Java Mappings.

So u have to decide at the Design Phase which mapping u want to use based upon the complexity of u r scenario.

Regards

Prasad illapani

SAP NetWeaver RIG US

Exchange Infrastructure

SAP Labs, LLC. USA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the Information Prasad. I have had similar opinion regarding transformations. But I have some doubts. Assuming we do transformations using Graphical Mapping Tool, XSLT (for scenarious Graphical Tool can't handle) and then Java Mappings. How it would affect the future trend. For example only XSLT part of Business Connector mappings can be migrated to XI and not all. Do you think the future XI versions will handle Graphical Mapping transformations. Is it GMT proprietary to SAP XI? Would it be advantageous to use open standards? Please clarify.

Thanks & Regards,

AG

former_member189324
Contributor
0 Kudos

There are always new functionalities included in the GMT with the latest versions of XI. Yes GMT is proprietary to XI.

I can see there are advantages to use Open Standards by providing a XSLT Mapping Tool inside GMT, but there are so many vendors in the market who provide these tools for XSLT Mapping.

Regards

Prasad

Former Member
0 Kudos

There is also another consideration for selecting mapping methods...the size of the message to be mapped.

XSLT requires the complete source XML document to be in memory, in addition to the resulting XML document. For large XML messages, this can be a resouce issue.

-Bill

emmanuel_turci
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello All,

Your are talking about a Graphical Mapping tool

I would like to use it for my project, I am a SAP employee

Could you help me and send me a link to this Graphical Mapping tool

I need to do a mapping between 2 xml files with some conversion between elements

thanks a lot

Regards,

Emmanuel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Emmanuel,

this Tool is included to Integration Repository of XI 2.0.

Best regards,

Helmut Skolaut

Siemens Business Services

emmanuel_turci
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

ok, thanks

but where ?

is it a transaction from SAP system ?

or anything else to reach this "Integration Repository of XI 2.0" ?

thanks a lot

Best Regards,

Emmanuel.

0 Kudos

Hello Prasad,

Thanks for giving lot differences between XSLT and Graphical. My question is

Is there any difference in performance using these two different things because I am working in MDM Businesspartner for Financial Services. Few days back, I came to know that it is must to use XSL files for transformation when message type is very big and complex. Can you put some light on this issue?

Thanks and Regards,

Harish Mehta

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mehta,

like William Li statet before there is a consideration about the size of XSLT-Mapping. In order to be able to do mapping all structure of the xml has to be in memory as a DOM-Structure. You can guest that this will consume huge memory. Another aspect is the working behavior of the XSLT-Processor. It go all the node in the tree to query just one information on the node.

With graphical Mapping especially with the node function you can do a lot and complex thing you can also do with XSLT. If there is no standard function available it is esay to write a smal java function an integrate it into the graphical mapping. The performance should be better if doing mapping with XSLT. If the performance is the only one reason than take graphical mapping befor XSLT. When standard and portability is important than XSLT will be the best but it will get lost in performance. I have not yet compare directly this two technic but principle XSLT is more slower because of huge memory used for both DOM structur (source and destination).

Regards,

Ly-Na Phu

Former Member
0 Kudos

good

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As i understand, we can enable point-to-point communication using XI Web services. But is the XI web service architecture itself tightly coupled with the WEB AS web service architecture?

If that be the case, what would be the advantage of using XI rather than WEB AS directly for web services?

Regards

Venu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Venu,

the added value using XI Web services are the possibilities of routing and mapping.

Best regards,

Holger

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Emmanuel,

About GUI mapping tool in XI you could find related infomation by

http://service.sap.com/xi

or

http://help.sap.com/

Hope this will help you.

Regards,

Jun.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jun,

I just know the mapping with the webstart client, using the url http://<maschine>:50000/rep/start/repository.jnlp

I have looked at the refered url in top, but I did not find anything about mapping from the SAPGUI.

Best regards,

Helmut Skolaut

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,Helmut

I think you could find it by following:

http://help.sap.com/

goto Sap NetWeaver => Sap Exchange Infrastructure (e.g, SAP XI2.0 SR1)

=> Design?=> Designing a Mapping

Regards,

Jun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jun,

there is only the WebStart Design, I assume, that there is a SAPGUI-design engine, I do not know.

Best Regards,

Helmut

jose_velasco
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi All.

The Mapping environment of XI ( being that XSLT, Graphial Mapping tool or Java ) is available from the Integration Builder Tool of XI.

To launch the IB tool:

1) Via SAPGUI run transaction sxmb_ifr

2) Click the link to Integration Repository, this launches the integration builder design time tool.

3) From within the tool you utilize the mapping facilities of XI.

Regards

José