Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with SAP GUI for Java 730 rev3 on Mac OSX 10.8

szabolcs_domb
Explorer
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I've been using SAP GUI 730rev1 on a MacBook Pro with OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) operating system for several months now without issues. Recently the revision 3 have been published which I installed. Installation seemed to be OK. However, when I was about to start SAP GUI 730rev3 I got the following error:

Application <SAPGUI 7.30rev3> could not be launched.

Failed to find JRE/JDK version 1.7+ (64bit).

Download at http://java.com/jdk.

Message seems to be issued by the operating system.

According to www.java.com/verify/ I have the latest JAVA runtime version: "You have the recommended Java installed (Version 7 Update 25).", which is now supported by the new revision.

Have you come across similar problem? Do I really need to install a JDK? (I don't mean to develop in Java, Runtime Environment should be enough for me).

Currently both versions (that is Rev1 and Rev3) are installed, Rev1 still works perfectly.

Thank you for your inputs.

Regards,

Szabolcs

Certified SAP Associate (3977962)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

RMW
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Szabolcs,

for some reason, the JRE on OS X only is available inside the browsers, not for standalone Java applications. For latter, you indeed have to install the JDK. (Its size is 240MB, so not too bad.)

SAP GUI for Java 7.30 rev 3 explicitly requests usage of Java 7, the message comes from the application stub in the application bundle of SAP GUI for Java. Older revisions allowed to fall back to Java 6 in case Java 7 is not available, which however is considered a bad idea given that Oracle stopped support for Java 6 back in February this year.

Best regards

Rolf-Martin

szabolcs_domb
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks, Rolf-Martin, this explains. For the time being I remain on rev.1. then.

RMW
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Szabolcs,

sticking with 7.30 rev 1 running on Java 6 is not a good idea for several reasons.

• Java 6 is old, outdated and lacks some security fixes that are included in Java 7.
  • You might be affected by bugs in 7.30 rev 1, which are already fixed in the current revision.
  • Once you report a bug, you will be likely asked to upgrade first your Java version and SAP GUI for Java version before someone in support will investigate your issue.

Best regards

Rolf-Martin

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi, how's the speed compare GUI on windows?

szabolcs_domb
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi, sorry for the delayed answer.

SAP GUI for Java in my experience is slightly, but not at all significantly slower than GUI for Windows. As I feel it is coming from the interpretation of the GUI commands. The execution of the commands seems to be the same.

The bigger pain is the missing functions, like graphical Print Preview, graphical Screen Painter.

I'm still on 7.30 rev 2, as I didn't want to install JDK...

Sz.