Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System aliases and "destinations" in VC7.31

mh97
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are trying to migrate from Visual Composer 7.0 system to Visual Composer 7.3. Our new VC system is currently 7.3 EhP 1 with SP 08 patch 2.

On our old VC system, we used a "System Alias" to connect to a backend "R/3" system (Netweaver AS ABAP).  The way the system alias worked, it was defined in the portal to point to a particular backend. This allowed for deploying the model on multiple portals that might have different backend systems - typically, to handle Development, QA, and Production. For example, in the dev portal, the alias "ABC123" points to the dev R/3 system, in the QA portal the same alias "ABC123" points to the QA backend system, and in the production portal the same alias "ABC123" points to the Production backend system.

In the new system, my Basis person says he's configured the RFC destinations and the aliases to match what we had in the old system. However, in the Visual Composer "seach" panel when I select the option "R3 Data Services" all I see is the destinations (the system id's of the development backends). I do not see the system aliases in the list. I see the term "system alias" used all over the documentation so I am expecting to see the aliases in the list, not the destinations. However Basis insists it is configured correctly, and that perhaps by "system alias" the documentation is only referring to a specific RFC destination. 

Shouldn't I be seeing the system aliases in the search panel, not the destinations? Can you suggest what might be wrong if I should be seeing the aliases but am not?

Thanks,

Margaret

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Vasilis
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Margaret,

you must create the systems destination through SAP Netweaver Administrator and not through portal.

SAP Netweaver Administrator

• Goto http://<server>:<server_port>/nwa  -> Configuration -> Security -> Destinations
  • Create a destination with name "ABC123" and destination type "RFC" and enter the connection properties for your backend R/3. You can check in documentation Discovering Data Services the prerequisite link Maintaining RFC Destinations for guidance.

Do the above steps in all your NW 7.31 systems (DEV,QA,PROD) keeping the destination name the same "ABC123" and changing the connection properties of the corresponding backend R/3.

Visual Composer

"ABC123" should now be visible in the search panel to use it.

For your existing VC models, if you double click a BAPI you will see in the configure panel the target system alias. If it is not "ABC123" you can replace it by going to Tools -> Manage Services

Regards,

Vasilis

mh97
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vasilios,

Thanks for your suggestion. However in the past (I am told) the system aliases defined in the portal were visible in the data services Search panel in Visual Composer. Now, all I see is rfc destinations, which are based on the system SID's. I do not want those used in the application, because when the application is transported it will need to use the alias so that it points to the correct SID depending on which portal the application is residing.

I found a workaround: use the RFC destination in the search panel to build the model. When done, go to Tools > Manage Serivces > Alias Manager and do "Replace" and type in the system alias name. I was able to use this to deploy a model and it works when run from the portal.

However this is rather inconvenient, as it should be possible to select the alias in the search panel. With my workaround, once replace is done, it is no longer possible to test the data service in the model.

The purpose of my question here is to find out if anyone has been able to have the system aliases defined in the portal display in the search panel.

Of course I could just ask my Basis person to create the destinations with the names that we previously used for aliases.  But if our  system is supposed to be showing the aliases I would prefer to correct the system.

Regards,

Margaret

JUNG
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Margaret,

Did you find a solution ?

I'm facing same issue and doing an import of VC model in QAL, PROD systems, and manually replacing RFC destinations with new ones.

As you mentioned when I'm transporting VC models from one system to another I would like to avoid manual operations.

Rgds

Gilles

mh97
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gilles,

I am sorry to say we did not solve this. We found some other issues with the new VC and decided to convert our apps to ABAP WebDynpro. We had only a few productive VC apps and with the newer Business Graphics features in WebDynpro we were able to easily make good replacements. This was better for us because we have more WebDynpro developers anyway, and now we could retire the VC tool. I prefer the flexibility of direct coding in ABAP so I can't say I will miss VC very much.

I think your best approach is to try what Vasilios recommended, or the workaround I mentioned.

Good luck!

Margaret

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Margaret,

It is a shame that you have decided to leave VC.  ABAP WD is of course a good alternative for creating your business applications.

Yet, I would like to use this oppertunity and hear your feedback about VIsual Composer, and use this feedback to improve the future version of the tool.

I hope you will be able to find the time for helping us, if yes, please me and I will set up a meeting.

Thanks,

Kobi.

Message was edited by: Anja Engelhardt - sorry, Kobi, but no emails in SCN. See our forum rules.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

mark_moshkovich
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Margaret,

Actually, I don't see any issue, I think we have here misunderstanding.

The system (alias) was replaced by NWA destination.

You can create the destination with any name you want, with any connection parameters you want.

If you encounter any problem, or you need any suggestions, please open OSS ticket, and ask to

forward it directly to me.

Regards,

Mark

JUNG
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

You are right.

System aliases ar not used by VC.

But you can create destination with same name for Development, Quality and Productive systems.

These destinations are used by Visual Composer to integrate BAPI or RFC from system.

When exporting and importing VC model from one system to another you just need to deploy visual composer model (no need for manual operations like replace).

Rgds

Gilles