cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PI Queue Prioritization default queue? How big is message size?

suwandi_cahyadi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

Need your opinion about this queue prioritization.

Is queue prioritization a necessary thing to configure for production?

What is the default queue for messages if there's no queue prioritization/message filtering configured?

How big is the message is will be considered as big in PI? 100 mb?

Thank you,

Suwandi C.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member

Hello,

>>Is queue prioritization a necessary thing to configure for production?

It depends upon ur business requirement. Consider a scenario where u want to process high priority messages as soon as they come in PI and supersedes all the messages waiting in queue to get processed, so in that case u can set a filter which explicitly tell SAP PI to give preferences to such high priority messages.

Having said so u can do other way around also, means in case u r receiving some bulky messages at the peak business hours (which can hamper the processing of main messages) and those messages need not to be processed immediately then u can define a low priority queue and filter those heavy messages through that queue.

Note - queue prioritization is possible on adapter engine also.

>>What is the default queue for messages if there's no queue prioritization/message filtering configured?

Go to SXMB_ADM -> Manage queues (i am assuming that u r working on dual stack system)

>>How big is the message is will be considered as big in PI? 100 mb?

There is no such limit defined by SAP, but having said that certainly 100 MB is big.

Thanks

Amit Srivastava

suwandi_cahyadi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Armit,

Thank you for the reply.

I've checked SXMB_AMD > Manage Queues. As I see there are Inbound Queue and EO or EOIO.

Then for example inside the Inbound > EO. There are 3 Queues XBTI*, XBTI1* and XBTI9* and three of them are checked. I don't understand which 1 is the default queue for Inbound > EO. Is there any link to explain this?

Thank you,

Suwandi C.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

>>There are 3 Queues XBTI*, XBTI1* and XBTI9* and three of them are checked. I don't understand which 1 is the default queue for Inbound > EO

XBTI* is the default queue. U can check this:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/7b/94553b4d53273de10000000a114084/content.htm

Thanks

Amit Srivastava

ambrish_mishra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Suwandi,

please go through the link:

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/20bb9649-e86e-2910-7aa9-88ed4972a...

There are multiple threads on SCN on this topic.

Ambrish

suwandi_cahyadi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thank you,

I'm getting a better understanding of the queue.

From this link too

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/04/827440c36ed562e10000000a155106/content.htm

I think what makes the XBT1, XBTI and XBT9 is the parameter of the Registration (in SMQR).

for example the MAXTIME:

XBT1 has 120 seconds

XBTI has 60 seconds

XBT9 has 30 seconds

XBT1 will have more processing time.

Thank you,

Suwandi C.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

suwandi_cahyadi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Expert,

1 more question please

what is the treatment for messages that are put in the Big Message Queue? Any link explaining this?

Thank you,

Suwandi C.

ambrish_mishra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Suwandi,

The big message will be assigned this particular queue and hence prioritized.

Ambrish

suwandi_cahyadi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ambrish,

Thank you,

I just wonder then what is the different between high priority queue and big message queue if the treatment to the messages put in them (the queues) is to get the messages prioritized?

What kind of judgement do we usually use to actually judge that the message is big since there's no limit defined by SAP to tell if a message is "big".

Can we use something like, if the average messages size in an implementation is 200kb and in that implementation there's 1 master data interface of which size is 1mb. Can I safely say that the master data interface is "big" since it is 5 times bigger than the average message size? (Than this is a relative judgement that the 1mb message is big only for my implementation. But for another another implementation having average message size is 800kb, 1mb would not so big compared to the average size).

Thank you,

Suwandi C.

ambrish_mishra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Suwandi,

I believe you can define the size of the message when you define the big message queue.

Regarding defining this parameter, the big message size is also dependent upon system resources apart from average message size. 1 MB message size can be defined as big if average message size is 200 KB and the master data interface has this volume.

Ambrish