cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADS Printing with custom data on ME 6.1

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everybody,

I'm in the process of building an extension for Data Acquisition Service for ADS printing and I am facing some issues.

I have followed How-To guide - this guide and accomplished the below steps:

1) Setting up of ADS.

2) Creating an .XDP template

3) Data binding

4) Triggered standard ADS Printing from POD (using an activity hook on one of the operations)

This is working fine and generates the PDF with standard data passed dynamically to the template.

My requirement is to populate custom data into the PDF for which I have created a service extension of Data Acquisition Service, I am assuming I don't need to extended Format and Transport services for this purpose.

As per the guide, In Document Maintenance -> Print Integration I have changed the Data Acquisition to - com.sap.me.document$PrintingDataAcquisitionService where as Formatting and Transport values rename the same as the standard one.

When I execute it to print just like how I did for the standard one: I get the below error in System logs and Traces:

" nested exception is: java.lang.NullPointerException: while trying to invoke the method com.sap.me.frame.Data.getString(java.lang.String, java.lang.String) of an object loaded from local variable 'routerData'  "

My questions:

1) Any idea about the error which is generated above on execution?

2) I have been reading about ME Print Content XML being generated in logs and server temp folder, but I haven't seen any, am I missing any setting? I could neither see it when PDF generated in standard setup nor when I extended the DA service. What do I need to do to see that XML?

3) Is this Data Acquisition value (in Print Integration of Document Maintenance) same always for all extensions - com.sap.me.document$PrintingDataAcquisitionService?

4) What if I have multiple customization and multiple Data Acquisition service extensions, do I need to still use the same Data Acquisition value in Print Integration of Document Maintenance? 

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Srini

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Srini,

1) Please contact ME support since this looks like a bug.

2) Print Content is printed to logs if you enable appropriate logging. The procedure is described in the SDK Dev Guide. The log should appear if your document is configured correctly, ie. it's gets printed at the end.

3) The com.sap.me.document$PrintingDataAcquisitionService is the only service which handles _all_ documents, hence all documents must specify that as data acquisition service. Unless, you create your own DA service.

4) Can it be one extension which might look into document options/custom data and make different decisions based on that information? If there _must_ be separate customizations, then consider creating new service definitions.

Thanks,
Bakhtiyar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Bakhtiyar,

1) We have already contacted SAP regarding this. I was wondering if I was doing something wrong as I see in the forum that some people have successfully printed using DA Service Extension.

2) I have followed the steps in - http://help.sap.com/saphelp_me61/helpdata/EN/b8/7723df3e884adc8a184a711c46bee3/content.htm Last section for ME XML to be logged, however no luck. Which SDK document are you referring to? Could you please pass me the link?

Regards,

Srini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Srini,

2) If the document is printed, then content should appear in the logs. The only thing I can think of is checking com.sap.me.trace location to ensure it is also set to info.

The section that describes the logging of printContent is correct.

Thanks,
Bakhtiyar

Answers (0)