cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can all MDM Catalog 7.02 components be installed on one server?

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are upgrading an SRM-MDM Catalog 2 system (MDM 5.5) to SRM-MDM Catalog 7.02.  The 7.02 release requires MDM 7.1, which has been redone to use the standard SAP startup framework.  We want to install all of the components required to run SRM-MDM Catalog 7.02 (MDM 7.1, Oracle database, WAS Java instance and the actual Catalog) on the same Unix server in our development and qa environments.

Both Java and MDM will use the same Oracle database, and we know this will work because we are doing it now in our current 5.5 implementation. However, since MDM 7.1 now requires an installation with sapinst, MDM 7.1 will require its own SID, its own instance number(s), and so on. The diagrams in the SRM-MDM Catalog 7.02 component installation guide indicate that all of these components can be installed on the same server.  A new SID for MDM 7.1 would make it unique on the server; the only exception would be the the sapservices file in the /usr/sap directory, since there is ony one of them on the server.  That is what concerns us.  .

Can all of these components be installed on the same server?  Have any of you installed it this way? Any guidance will be appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Colm,

Yes, it is possible to install and run all of the components on one Unix server.  The new installation requires another SID and instance number on the server, but that did not cause us any problems.

We are now running the Oracle database, the NW WAS java instance, and SRM-MDM Catalog 7.02 all on the same Unix server in all of our environments (dev, qa and prod).  The Catalog installations include the mdss (syndication) server as well as the mds and mdis (import) servers.

So far, no issues.

Regards,

WL

ColmC
Explorer
0 Kudos

Many thanks Wayne.

ColmC
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Wayne,

Sorry to bother you but I'm finding the installation approach for MDM Catalog 7.02 very confusing.

We are planning to use two servers. One for SRM and one for MDM.

Server 1: SAP SRM Server has been installed with:
  Oracle 11.2.0.4
  NW 7.0 Ehp3 (dual stack) 
  SRM 7.0 Ehp2

Server 2: SAP MDM-Catalog 7.02 
  Oracle 11.2.0.4
  NW ? (Java AS)
  MDM 7.1 (Central system for SRM-Catalog)(MDS & MDIS)
  MDM-Catalog 7.02

Can you give me some direction for the MDM server please.
What NW version should i use for required Java AS?
Have I the order correct? it seems like alot of installations for a Catalog

Also, if this is the right order can you tell me if I can have the same SID on server 2?

i.e.

NW Java AS SID = ABC

MDM SID = ABC

thanks in advance,
colm

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Carroll,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you.

Yes, the SRM-MDM Catalog can be very confusing, primarily due to it's reliance on a specific release version of the core MDM system,

On your MDM Catalog server, you will need two SIDs now since it uses the traditional SAP startup framework and you have two instances on the server (one for MDM Catalog and one for the Java stack).  However, that should not be an issue.  It will just add another entry to the /usr/sap/sapservices file for the new SID.  You cannot have the same SID name more than once on a server.

You should be able to use the same version of Java that you use on your SRM server on the MDM server.  Also, it's possible to use the SRM Java stack instead of creating a new one on your MDM server.  We were originally set up that way but were seeing performance issues on the production SRM server due to Java issues with the catalog.

Make sure you have the correct core MDM version for your SRM-MDM catalog 7.02 installation, including the desktop GUI clients (console, data manager, import manager, etc).  There are notes out there (for example, 1083126) that can help mapping the correct SRM-MDM Catalog release version to its correct core MDM release version.  If you get these wrong, you will not be able to open or use the repositories in the console.

Hope this helps.  Let me know if you need any additional information.

regards,

WL

ColmC
Explorer
0 Kudos

thanks again Wayne...

ColmC
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Wayne,

I'm facing the same situation. Can I ask you please if you got an answer to this scenario?

thanks in advance,

colm