cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick sizing for Demand Planning system

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All

Our team is required to do quick sizing for a SCM 5.0 Demand Planning system with Livecache. The DEV and QAS is already available but not being used at all but now we need the quick sizing for the production box. I have never done any quick sizing, detailed help is appreciated. I have gone through the service.sap.com/quicksizing for demand planning it shows 3 input tables only for Throughput sizing - Time Series, DP Run, DP Users. The APO functional guys entered some numbers but not sure what to do next as the Calculate Result shows information Iam not able to understand.

What I need from sizing is CPU processor, disk size, memory size, etc in clear detail. Please suggest, Thanks in advance.

Regards

Ali

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

somnath_manna
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Ali,

If you send the Quicksizer results to your hardware vendor they should be able to size it to their available configurations. Most hardware vendors (HP, Dell) have a questionnaire based on SAP's Quicksizer to compute the hardware requirement.

One point to mention here is for Demand Planning the functional team also needs to size the APO Infocubes required. This will be under NetWeaver - BI component of the Quicksizer. This will add upto the hard disk space requirements.

Thanks,

Somnath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for the replies. the quicksizer has been shut down for transportation, i guess. Somnath, can you help me with the quicksizer if i get the inputs required. As i was told in the company they are planning to install livecache onthe same scm 5.0 box.

As per your experience, what hardware configuration is required normally for the scm 5.0 with livecache for say about 100 users. Please answer in detail if possible. And the problem is i am not able understand how the SAPS concept is related to the SCM quick sizing.

Thanks

Ali

somnath_manna
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Ali,

First of all I am not a BASIS consultant and hence it would not be prudent for me to comment on hardware configuration reuqired in your case.

Secondly I do not understand what you mean by Quicksizer has been shut down. It is available online at <a href="http://service.sap.com/quicksizer">Quicksizer Tool</a> in Service Marketplace.

There is good amount of documentation available in the website giving details on the basis of computation of different parameters. Again SCM Hardware Configuration is not just dependent on the number of users but the functional requirements as well.

Thirdly - I cannot explain how SAPS concept is related to SCM Quicksizing. Per my understanding the SAPS concept is an hardware-independent benchmark of throughput which is an indicator of the processing capabilities required at peak loads. SAPS will determines the number and processor speed on your Application Server depending on the processor capabilities. Most hardware vendors provide datasheets with SAPS capabilities.

Suggest you go through the document "Background: Sizing mySAP Business Suite" under Sizing Guidelines >> General Sizing Procedures.

Thanks,

somnath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Somnath/ Ali,

We are planning to implement APO and we have 25000 CVC's. I wonder whether we need a seperate BI instance for reporting or this can be considered into server sizing of APO DP itself. Can you please let me know?

Thanks,

Srini

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you need to do reporting out of BI, then its recommended that you have a separate BI instance. Because if you do reporting on the APO-BI instance, it will create performance issues in APO.

however Somnath can give more inputs, as the CVCs are only 25,000. We have 457,400 CVCs.

Message was edited by:

Basis

somnath_manna
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Appreciate if you can mark this thread as answered if your question was answered in March. Also please assign points to the contributors suitably.

It is a good practice to follow.

Srinivasa has put in a separate posting which is what he should have done in the first place.

Thanks,

Somnath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai,

Quick sizer output gives you the following details:

CPU category - whether S-small or M-medium etc.

It gives you the total SAPS required based on your input parameters. Hardware vendors understand what SAPS means and they will be able to quote you the appropriate hardware configuration.

In addition, quick sizer output also gives total memory required, DB memory required, Application memory required, Livecache memory required and also DB disk & LC disk required.

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Murali.J