cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the Sales Order ATP exception process for Strategy 52?

ann_hustis
Contributor
0 Kudos

We use Strategy 52 Plng w/o final assem. w/o make-to-order.  We enter Planned Independent Requirements (PIRs) out 12 months.  Customer sales orders are promised against the PIRs; this is standard for strategy 52.  (“Scope of check” does not apply).

We run MRP and planned orders are created out 12 months. We buy and make to this plan so that we have the sub assembly in inventory before the sales order is received.

But what happens if we encounter a production problem and we do not have the sub assembly in inventory as we expected?  We have already promised the customer based on the date of the PIR!

We will reschedule out the planned order for the final assembly to a future date when we will have all of the component materials.  If we then simply re-run sales order ATP nothing will change since our PIRs are still sitting where we originally planned them.

How do we re-ATP the sales order to provide a new promise date to the customer?  Thank you!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please try use the Rescheduling (V_V2 t-code) and the Backorder processing (CO06) functioanlity.

Regards

ann_hustis
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Raj but I don't think this is the answer.

Simply performing a new ATP check is not going to work because the PIR is still where it was; its date has not moved.  And the sales order is checking against the date of the PIR!

I think the exception process will require moving the Planned Independent Requirement to a future date and reconfirming the sales order.  Because remember, in strategy 52 the ATP check is against the PIRs; it is not against the ATP scope of check.

But re-dating the PIR that the sales order has confirmed against (using MD62 change PIR) and then re-running the sales order ATP seems much too awkward.  I have to believe there is a "slicker" solution offered by SAP.  I just need to know what that solution/process is.

Thank you.

rammohan_shenoy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ann,

I have reviewed all the questions and answers from other experts.

Based on my experience of PS =52, An availability check is performed on the basis of the planned independent requirements. What that means Sale order ATP is performed against the dates in the planned orders that are created against PIR. The planned order dates would move if PIR dates are moved (normal MRP concept).

As I understand, in your case, there  is a special situation  due to a production problem and hence production cannot produce to plan order  dates. In such cases it is the job of the Planner to manualy postpone the dates on the planned orders to a future best case date. When he does that system automatically inserts a firming indicator on those planned orders - Which means next nightly MRP run cannot change dates based on the original PIR dates. 

Once  the planner does this, run a new Sale order ATP in VA02 and the sale order would promise against New dates on the planned order.

Another way of handling this is to insert a planning time fence of say 15 days (depending on how long the production dept has a problem) and changing MRP type to P1 -P4 (cannot remember which one is best suitable for your situation) from PD. In this  case, MRP would push the planned order dates beyond the planning time fence. Then Re-run sale order ATP and you shoud get new promise dates.

Please implement one of these solutions to resolve your special production situation (problem). Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Ram

ann_hustis
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for your note Ram.

But in my understanding, for Strategy 52, the Sales Orders check against the DEMAND element, that is, the Planned Independent Requirements.  The check is not made against the SUPPLY elements, that is, the Planned Orders.  To test this, I removed all Planned Orders from MD04 and entered my Sales Order.  It ATP'd against the PIRs I had.

For now, my solution will be to move some of the PIRs into the future and re-ATP the affected sales orders.

Thank you again for your effort.

rammohan_shenoy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ann,

It is a little odd. I remember that ATP will look at planned order dates. You may also have to look at your config for ATP on this.

Anyways, the fact is this that you have a very special situation in production that needs to be manually managed by planner. Moving PIR is a good option in this case.

Thanks for sharing,

Ram

eduardo_hinojosa
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Try to run the report SDRQCR21 (see SAP Note 25444 - SDRQCR21: Recovery of sales and delivery requirements for further information).

In the other hand, try to re-send an output message for the SO with the ATP status changed and so, your customer will be aware about the re schedule.

I hope this helps you

Regards

Eduardo

ann_hustis
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Eduardo but I don't think this is the answer.

I read the SAP note and tried the program you suggested but the Sales Order still confirms against planning, that is, the Planned Independent Requirements which I have not changed.

Remember for strategy 52 the Sales Order checks against planning, not against the ATP "Scope of Check" (inventory + production orders + planned orders....).

eduardo_hinojosa
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ann,

You are right, my apologies, because I am aware I never saw this scenario (ATP against planning).

Perhaps SAP Note 622299 - Consulting: Availability check against planning where it uses strategy 50 (Planning without final assembly) as an example. I believe question 'B4) Overconfirmation caused by problematic consumption settings' fits with your issue.

I hope this helps you

Regards

Eduardo

ann_hustis
Contributor
0 Kudos

Eduardo - Thanks for your follow up.  I had seen SAP Note 622299 before and just reread it again.  It does not cover my scenario.  And section B4 refers to problems that can arise when incorrect consumption modes and length of period are used.   This is not my problem.

My problem is not with which Sales Orders are consuming the PIR quantities. 

My problem is that our production department has not made the subassembly quantities that they were supposed to make in response to the PIRs that are in MD62.  Meanwhile I've promised customer sales orders against those PIRs for the next, say 6 weeks.  Once I recognize this production problem, should I go into MD62 and manually move out the PIRs for which I have not made the sub assembly and then re-confirm all Sales Orders in the system?  I really can't see any other way.  This just seems like a very laborious, awkward procedure.

Here is an example:

Aug. 1st - I have PIRs for 100 PC of Material A; they need 100 PC of sub assembly Material X

Sept 1st - I have PIRs for 100 PC of Material A; they need 100 PC of sub assembly Material X

Oct. 1st - I have PIRs for 100 PC of Material A; they need 100 PC of sub assembly Material X

MRP has run and my production dept. has been busy making 100 PC of Material X for Aug and starting procurement to make 100 PC of Material X for Sept.

In August I confirm 100 PC of Sales Orders for Material A so all of the PIRs for August are consumed.  But here we are in the middle of August and I have discovered that our production department has made only 75 PC of Material X because of production problems so I can't possibly "finish off" 100 PC of Material A in August.  (This is what Strategy 52 does; it "finishes off" the last BOM level).

I am going to disappoint customers for 25 PC of Material A in August.

What data must I change in the system so that I can then "re-ATP" my August Sales Orders and send a new, revised ATP date to the customers for these last 25 PC of Material A.  I will be pushing their date out to September.

I'm thinking I'll have to reduce my August PIRs from 100 to 75.  This seems like an awkward process.  Is there a better way?

Thank you.

eduardo_hinojosa
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

One question Ann, How do you determine ATP in sales order against this PIR orders or plans in MD62? Manually or with ATP tools (for instance with the icons in the bottom of the items lines in VA02)

If you are doing click on 'check item availability' I believe you could try with an enhancement (ATP00001-EXIT_SAPLATPC_002 where you can change values for P_ATPCC, for instance, the field GSBTR). Look for the help from an ABAPer, set a break point and check if the userexit is triggered. You can read your data in MD62 with the bapi BAPI_REQUIREMENTS_GETDETAIL reading the version where you save your new planning data).

If you are changing manually the schedule lines, please, let me know, then you could do it with a customer report using BAPI_SALESORDER_CHANGE,  changing values in SCHEDULE_LINES.

I hope this helps you

Regards

Eduardo

ann_hustis
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks very much Eduardo.

We ATP these sales orders using the icon in VA01 or VA02 Create/Change Sales Order.

We are a small company using very standard SAP so we likely won't implement any enhancements or BAPIs but I will forward your note to our technical staff just in case.

Luckily, this exception process is very rare; we almost always have the sub assemblies in stock since they are planned well in advance.  In fact, most of them are Kanban made so in theory there is always a full bin!

Thanks again for your help.