cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apply latest Package Stack to SAP NW7.3

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys and gals,

I am trying to apply the latest package stack to our system. My plan is to use SUM for the update, but I need the stack configuration XML file as well as the support package stack for the target release.

Currently, we have SAP NW7.3 SP0 and we want to go to SP09. I know that the supported way is by using SolMon, but as we do not have it installed and configured, I am looking for other options.

The one I found was through https://service.sap.com/sp-stacks, where you can choose the source and target stack of a specified product and then the xml file will be calculated, but SAP NW7.3 is not in the list.

Can I kindly ask you to suggest me other options for generating the stack configuration XML file,  if such are available?

Maybe you can give me advice on how to update the system in other ways without having to have the xml file? Maybe there is another tool I don't know about?

Thank you very much in advance!

Best regards,

Mariya Stancheva

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SUM will allow you to perform an upgrade without a stack file, but know by doing so you are taking the hard road as you have to go and collect all of the files and ensure you meet all the pre-reqs.

former_member189797
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

SUM provides 2 option :

1. Stack Configuration File

2. Manually Prepared directory. (Can only be used for JAVA single support package update.)

So I am not sure if we can go ahead with the SUM tool without stack.xml file. Please let me know if I missed something. It will be new information for me if it can be achieved.

Thanks in advance for sharing the information.

Regards,

Gaurav

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I have used it to update multiple Java support packs, I tested this with a 7.4 NW going from 02 to 03; unsure if I can jump from 02 to 05 as an example...Also not sure how SUM interfaces with the ABAP side as I haven't had to update much there since SUM's initial release.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You cant upgrade ABAP support pack using the SUM tool with directory options without xml file. You need to have xml file for ABAP system.

Only this option is valid for java system.

Thanks

Rishi Abrol

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

The only option to download stack file is MOPZ in solution manager.

You cannot download stack xml file for NW 7.3 from SMP.

Thanks

Sunny

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

To the best of my knowledge it is not possible to upgrade without a stack file.

Else you will need to use the SPAM/SAINT option like Gaurav mentioned.

Solution Manager will calculate the stack file with the target patch level based on the present system patch level. If there are some dependencies it will be automatically included.

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Logically you should use the STack file generated from solution manager.

But as you mentioned that you dont want to do that.

Please find out what all patches you have it in your system and then add them to download basket manually . Download them and apply using JSPM.

In this case its difficult to download each and every patch as you dont check the dependency as you might get an error if some additional patch is required.

You might have to approve some of the patch using solution manager.

Please use excel to identify the patch and search patch tab in service market place to find the patch.

Hope it helps. But will still suggest to used the stack file method.

Above comments are related to NW 7.3 java system.

Thanks

Rishi Abrol

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rashi,

Thank you for your response, but I wanted to apply SPs not patches.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think that you dint read the last line.

Above comments are related to NW 7.3 java system.

So you want to apply the latest spX ad you download all the patch you can apply them without the stack.xml if they all are java patches.

using the directory option for the SUM tool and JSPM

Thanks

Rishi Abrol

former_member189797
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear mariya,

If you are planning to use the SUM tool then stack.xml is must.

Other than SUM, you can use SPAM/SAINT tool.

Regards,

Gaurav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear  Gaurav,

Thank you for your response. You are correct, there is no way to apply package stacks with SUM without stack.xml. You can only apply patches and fixes without stack.xml, but no package stacks or service packs. I wanted to go from SP01 to SP08 and the SUM did not recognized any of the  .SCA files for SP8.