cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP Applications 11.2 vs SUSE SLES 11.2

0 Kudos

Hello Everyone,

I recently completed a test installation of SAP using "SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP Applications". What is the primary difference between the "for SAP Applications" version and the standard SLES version? Which version or distribution do most SAP customers use? I see a lot of general marketing information at the Novell SUSE web site. I'm wondering what the practical differences are.

Please help me decide which SUSE SLES 11.2 distribution I should select, SUSE SLES 11.2 or SUSE SLES for SAP Applications, for my next project.

Thank You,

Kevin

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member

Based on my experience, here's couple of things that you will get:

1) Kernel parameters have been adjusted for SAP

2) Installation base package automatically chosen for SAP requirements

3) Filesystem size (lv_system, paging size) is automatically calculated and filled as per SAP guide

4) SAP Installation integration with OS

5) Template and resource for SAP High Availability is provided in openAIS module

Currently SLES 11 SP3 have been released, but I still see no "for SAP" version is available.

Since SAP recommends you to use latest SP version, I will stick with vanilla edition and do all the manual tasks until the SAP edition is out.

Regards,

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

0 Kudos

I went with the standard version of SUSE SLES 11.x for the implementation. I was careful to follow all of the relevant SAP notes regarding the OS configuration. Speaking to several SAP implementation partners, I found SUSE SLES 11.x is a popular choice. I am happy with the choice of OS.

r_vanamersfoorth
Explorer
0 Kudos

One very imporant reason on why SLES for SAP should be chosen is because of longer/extended supportability.

Please refer to http://support.novell.com/lifecycle and check the product lifecycle differences between Standard SLES and SLES for SAP.

0 Kudos

Hi,

additionally to the answer of Bobby you should have a look for the support timeframe and the support of SUSE HA extension. If you have to implement a HA cluster using Suse HA Extension, it is already included and you do not have talk to Suse again.

Concerning the support timeframe you are able to run the SP without paying additional LTSS.

Thanks

Uwe

randy_middleton
Explorer
0 Kudos

what Bobby said.  Plus here is a screen shot of me going through the install.

"SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP Applications"  the line that says Wizard.

SLES for SAP Applications - Install with Wizard.

This Suse 11.2 SAP sp1 DVD.  The 1st line is to boot after you forget to take the DVD out after a successful install.  The 2nd line is w/ out wizard and you have to do a mauel install from the SuSe bash prompt.  Doable but you have to be a Linux and SuSe guru.

SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP Applications 11 SP3: The Guide

csaba_goetz
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kevin,

We (SAP Support) recommend Suse Linux Enterprise Server for SAP Applications (SLES for SAP) - it is already adjusted for special requirements of an SAP system.

For details see http://www.suse.com/products/sles-for-sap/frequently-asked-questions/.

If you have the possibility choose for SLES for SAP.

Best regards,

Adam

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Please check below link which gives you some of the advantage that SUSE SLES for SAP Applications offers. One of the advantage is fast deployment of SAP applications- An installation wizard in SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP Applications installs both SAP software solutions and their underlying Linux infrastructures, unattended.

https://www.suse.com/products/sles-for-sap/

Thanks

Sunny