Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Server Hardening...

former_member193399
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

My corporate has set of rules and settings which needs to be checked and applied in every SQL Server installation in our network. I have gone through these and there are around 12 changes i have to make. I have a SANDBOX SAP system which i am going to use. I am planning to stop the system and take the database backup of master and the <SID> database for every set of change. What are the general steps I need to perform in order to make sure the SAP system works after starting the SAP system? Any information is highly appreciated.

Thanks

RT

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I don't now exactly what your question is but to copy the data (to create the sandbox) you can use a "homegeneous system copy".

Check Note 151603 - Copying an SQL Server database

As for backup/restored I suggest reading

<a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_47x200/helpdata/en/45/0f4736b2070725e10000009b38f889/frameset.htm">http://help.sap.com/saphelp_47x200/helpdata/en/45/0f4736b2070725e10000009b38f889/frameset.htm</a>

--

Markus

former_member193399
Active Participant
0 Kudos

My Question in short is

What is the procedure to test the SAP System when we change a SQL Server level settings?

Sorry if it is confusing.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> What is the procedure to test the SAP System when we

> change a SQL Server level settings?

Depends to what level you want to test

Since I don't know what you are going to change it's impossible to give a recommendation.

If you change e. g. permissions on files I'd suggest checking if the system will come up correctly, if you change network related settings I'd check the network and so on.

If the system is coming up nicely after you changed something the first big step is done.

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

The type of changes you make determines the level of testing that you should do. First thing that I would do would be ensure that the system comes up with no errors in the OS Event Log or in the MMC. Then I would check the SAP System Log in SM21, ensure to check each app server if applicable. I would also check to ensure that any external RFC connections are working by using a test in SM59. Also, may want to have the functional groups run some common transactions to ensure that the overall functionality is as expected.

Hope this helps.

Jared