cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solutions - How to configure them and EWA in SolMan 7.1?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We are using Solution Manager 7.1 (SP 5) and have it totally configured for Change management. We are also getting up to speed with Technical Monitoring.

But, we recently were wanting to get an Early Watch Alert report for our sandbox system (and later our Dev and Production systems), and we found that these have changed with 7.1. And it seems we have to have our Solutions fully set up in order to then utilize the EWA reports system.

The first big problem we have is we do not know much about Solutions and how they work, how they are set up, configured, etc. And finding information that isn't super high level is quite daunting. SAP loves the word 'solution' so searching for information on Solutions is proving to be super difficult, as is finding information on how to get the EWA reports set up under this new Solutions system.

We have been using Projects with our Change Mgmt as opposed to Solutions due to this problem with not being able to find good information about them.

But, we did have other people in our organization try to create Solutions only they didn't fully understand what they were doing. So, we probably will have to start all over, if we cannot edit the existing ones. but, of course, deleting them might be a bad idea at this point in the game, so we are really needing is some solid detailed instructions on both Solutions and EWA's in the era of SolMan 7.1.

So, if anyone can help us with this that would be fantastic!!

Thank you,

John

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi john,

It means your configuration was not proper.

follow the below highlighted steps and instructions.

go to solman_workcenter

go to tab solution manager administration tab>> click on solutions>> new

give the name as desired and save solution

click on solutin directory

it prompts to open or save the file

click open .. and wait for some time till the file is opened

click on system group

then click on possible entries tab

once the list appears. press ctrl+f to find and select the option "system"

and type the SID of the configured system for which you want to receive EWA>>find

tick mark in chekbox beside the system to add

similarly tick all the systems u wanted to add.

thus they appear in your system group.

now save the solution by clicking save button or "control+s"

once completed go to the iniatial screen >>solution manager administration >>solutions>>

click on the created solution >>solution data settings>> send all data

congratulations,

you have properly configured solution for Early watch alerts now.

Regards,

Nag.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Naga Sandeep,

Thank you very much for your detailed help! I have set up a new EWA solution successfully!

and thanks to everyone else who helped clear up my confusion.

Cheers,

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John,

I configured step by step with the correct answer but how I see the EWA ?

how i do step by step until the finaly EWA reporting, can you help me ?

Tks i'm new with solman.

Best Regards,

Gustavo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gustavo,

I'm afraid, we thought we had it set up, but we do not. It is very tricky to set up now.

We got side tracked with other issues, and now we are about to upgrade our Sandbox to SP10, so we are too busy to worry about it.

We have EWA set up in our ECC systems, though.

And I think the EWA setup is slightly changed in SP10 so we have more learning to do.

I'm sorry I wouldn't help you.

Best,

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

I configured step by step with the correct answer but how I see the EWA ?

how i do step by step until the finaly EWA reporting, can you help me ?

Hi Guastavo,

Greetings!! and congrats!! you made it..

Once you configured. you can sit relaxed till next monday and then check the EWA report by

loggin on the SOLMAN system

-->> enter SOLMAN_WORKCENTER

-->> system monitoring tab

-->> reports

-->> click on your solution in blue and underlined.

there you will be able to see your EWA.

Hope this helps,

Rg,

Nag.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nag,

Thank you very much, so the status of EWA is like this yet.

Do you know how I update it ?

Nag thank you for your help.

Regards,

Gustavo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gustavo,

As said before, click on ECC 6.0 - EC0, EWA which is appearing in blue and underlined..

It will ask you which EWA you want to check. Then click on the EWA which you have recently configured.

then it will show the below second half screen completely in different window with repors having red flag beside it.

when you mouse over it, it will say "session overdue"

it means there was trouble sending the data to SAP.

In this case you need to trigger the EWA manually.

click on it.

click on as shown above

-->> provide Credentials

-->> click on create or f6

-->> sessions_refresh

-->> solman_back connection as rfc and select the option now.

once created, select the task-->>edit -->> start now -->> yes

once it completes, you will recieve some more tasks

click any one of them ..>> edit -->> start now.

you can monitor it through log icon provided beside the task.

once completed you can go to the reports

you will see the bottles icon beside the report ,

click on report-->> start service processing now

this will trigger a background job

With in 30 mins the jobs gets completed

and you can check the rating in reports

Hope this helps,

Rg,

Nag.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member205758
Participant
0 Kudos

I have made a document for my own convenience it shows the steps of how you should start and proceed with EWA in Solman 7.1 system. If this helps you to create the solution for EWA seperatly and setup the Reporting.

Please see the step by step approach shown below steps, i have created to give an idea about the EWA set up.

Hope the Steps below help you to understand EWA in 7.1.

Step 1- Schedule An EarlyWatch Alert Report

1) Run Transaction ‘Solman_workcenter’
2) Select the ‘Solution manager Administration’ Tab
3) Click on the ‘Solutions’ icon
4) Select the required Solution
5) Click on the ‘Operations Setup’ tab
6) Click on the service name link for Setup EarlyWatch
7) You can now make any necessary settings in the EWA Administration screen
😎 And we can now check in SDCCN and see the Task is scheduled
View an EarlyWatch Alert Report in SAP Solution Manager 7.1

Step 2- Run transaction code ‘solman_workcenter’

Navigate to ‘Engagement and Service Delivery’ workcenter tab.

1) Select the Solution

2) Click on Reports to expand Reporting Tools

3) Select the Radio Button EarlyWatch Alert

4) Select the data range

5 Then click on search, A list will be presented

6) Click on the session number link to open the Service Session

7) Highlight the service session and click ‘Generate Report’ to generate the EWA the report in Word Format

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Shravan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Shravan and Billy,

When I follow your instructions to get into Workcenter, the 'Solution Manager Administration' tab, and then Solutions, and then Operations Setup, and finally click on Setup Early Watch Alerts what comes up is a mostly empty line of data (see attached screen shot) that does indicate it is "Active" and it is set to "Send Alerts".

But, other Solutions have more data in that table than the one for Solution Manager, which makes me wonder if more information is needed (such as the installation number)?

And, when I go to SDCCN the task "Early Watch Alert for SolMan" it is not scheduled. Where is that scheduled? Does it have anything to do with the /BDL/TAK_PROCESSOR job?

So, you see, we may have a viable Solution set up, or I may need to scrap it and start over, I'm still trying to figure that out. But, it isn't creating EWA's.

Are there any consequences for deleting a Solution and for starting over from scratch? And, should that happen within Workcenter or do you have to go into other transactions in the system to "get rid of" and old Solution?

Thanks!

John

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SAP Engagement Serveries and CQCs is not the most ideal location to verify EWA settings.

What are your options for the following screen?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here is what that screen looks like:

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Excellent, what hapens when you click on the link to configure the EWA?

Former Member
0 Kudos

It comes up looking like this, with a lot of information missing, and even the name, EWA for Solutions seems off, when it is supposed to be specificaly for Solution Manager:

And, there doesn't appear to be any way to edit this entry (other than to make it Active or not, and to Send Alerts or not).

Should there be more options available in here for editing? Perhaps I need another role?

And, does this look OK to you, or am I right, we are missing some data?

Thanks again Billy.

former_member185048
Participant
0 Kudos

hi John,

The solution created must have a setting to be changed. By default the settings would be Send Production data.

Change it to Send all data as attached in the screenshot

Thanks,

Karthik

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You are missing data, lets flip over to smsy for a moment and verify some information:

Ignore my green boxes, this is the solution that I have generating EWAs; my current guess is that you have an empty Solution for the purpose of your EWAs.

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Solutions can be considered a logical way to run various scenarios on your various systems for various/simple/complex landscapes.

If I were in your situation, I would create another solution and name it with a prefix or a suffix of EWA.  At this point you can set this solution up to handle the EWAs and can add/remove logical items along with defining which systems should be generating EWAs on a weekly basis.

This may be a useful wiki to review:  http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/SMSETUP/Create+EarlyWatch+Alert+in+solution+manager+7.1

This wiki does assume you have a solution already setup.