cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Work Process Increase

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I have installed ERP 6.0 EHP6 system Dev and Quality and production (cluster) Environments,after installing in each server default no of work process is in each server are below.

Dialog -9

Enquee-1

Upd-1

UP2-1

Spool-1

Background -3

Now I am planning to increase the update work process and background work process through RZ10 ,because my developers are saying while activating smartfroms system will taking time while activating the smart forms.

Please suggest whats the criteria of increase the work process can i directly increase in RZ 10 and restart the instance .

Please suggest and guide me

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

First of all you should only increase the number of work processes if you are sure there are sufficient CPU resources to cope with the increase. Normally there should be at least one or two Dialog work process in SM50 without any CPU time. Monitor your CPU utilization when increasing the number of work processes.

But also be concerned if the memory usage is over 90% during peak dialog hours as this would indicate that your hardware resources are not sufficient for the workload.

See also SAP Note 39412 'How many work processes should be configured?'

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can I increase the update work process directly 1 to 5 (UPD) and UP2 =2 .

Is there any issue will arise for increasing update work process.

Thanks

0 Kudos

General advice - Increase the number of work processes gradually:

1) Add x additional dialog work processes.

2) Do not stop the Sap system for a week - lets say.

3) Using sm50 you can observe if the x additional dialog work process

were used ( cpu time greater than zero).

It makes no sense to add work processes if nobody use them.

4) The ideal is a configuration in which at  least one (but no more this is not a rule, please get the idea and not the numbers) work process is always free.

5) if necessary, repeat the above four step with the other kind of work processes , EXCEPT ENQUEUE WORK PROCESS.)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

You need to take into account the user load and your system resources for deciding the number of WP.

Analyze your work processes while the development team are complaining of slowness and understand where the bottleneck is.

You can see what your work processes are doing in SM50

You do need more update work processes.

I would increase the UP2 to 2 and upd to 3 and see if it helps

Also , use RZ04 to define operation modes.

That way you can use the available work processes to be available for more Background processing during the night and more dialog work processing during the day or vice versa depending on your requirment.

Also,  the ST03N transaction can give you a very good idea about the bottlenecks in the system and thereby improve the performance

Activating smartforms is normally a slow process but you can help your development team withe the improvements from basis side.

Please also see

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/02/962817538111d1891b0000e8322f96/frameset.htm

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/sap-on-db2/tuning-the-number-of-work-processes-part-ii-13173

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You only need to increase the number of work processes incase all the work processes are used, you can check the same via SM50. If the developers complain that your system is slow it could be because of many reasons, the solutions you could try are

1) Try to do some performance tuning

2) Check whether you have ran SGEN..

3) Try to update your kernel to latest level.

NB: Try to increase the profile abap/buffersize by 15%, provided you have enough memory to spare. Make sure you have taken the backup of your profile directory.

Thanks

Sheetal

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

hedvig_rohonyi
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

in most cases the reason for long SmartForms generation is a extremely slow access to the table D010INC.

The problem may be because the database statistics of table D010INC are not up to date.

Please update the statistics of the the table D010INC and then try the action again.  If this not help please attach screenshot from SM50 where we can see the affected table (TRDIR,  WBCROSSGT, ...).

By the way note 1010375 contains some recommandations which can be used to decrease the

activation time.

Best regards,

Hedvig

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hedvig,

Thanks for the helpful information,I am using sybase database how can we assume database table statistics are not up to date where we can we check .

If i run update stats command while running the system is their any impact in the system.

Please suggest and guide me its very helpful for me

Thanks

hedvig_rohonyi
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Team,

I am not familiar with SYbase, but as I know  for other case the following steps  help to
improve the performance:

Suggestion should be to run the "update index" command:

login using SAPSR3 by using isql tool -> isql -S<SID> -Usapsr3

in case of e.g. REPOSRC

use <DATABASE>
go
update index statistics REPOSRC
go

Please schedule "update index statistics REPOSRC" on regular bases.

Additionally, please review the recommendations in the pdf attachment of note 1722359. It contains detailed description of the SAP Best Practices for memory and cache configuration.

By my guess this issue needs to be checked by to colleagues from the database SYBASE.

Best regards,

Hedvig

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes you can increase or decrease  the Background/dialog/Update work process easily.I will suggest you to go for operation mode set up for few days to monitor system performance and the impact  of increasing or decreasing the work process .

Run transaction code- RZ04

Then click on Instance/operation mode and you will see below screen.

Then you can double click on daytime and you will get below screen and you can change dialog/background/update/enqueue work process as per your desired value/system usages.

You can do the same thing for nighttime. If you want to keep same number of work process for day and night time then keep them as same for daytime and nighttime. Or if you wish you can have more dialog work process in day time and less dialog work process in night time. As the dialog users are very lesser in night.

Now the important point is how to decide day and night timings,

To maintain operation mode switch timings, goto transaction SM63 as shown below and select normal operation (24hr) mode

To maintain operation mode switch timings, goto transaction SM63 and select normal operation (24hr) mode

Click on change button and  set the operation mode intervals for day and night.

First let us set for day operation mode by clicking on the start time of the day interval and then navigating to Operation mode -> Select interval. Then start interval is marked.

After this place cursor at the end interval and again navigate to Operation mode -> Select interval and confirm to mark the entire interval of day operation mode

In the above screen, you can figure the interval marked is highlighted in different colour. Now assign operation mode as below for the highlighted area by clicking on assign button in the below screen

P.S. - You cannot change Spool work process through RZ04 but it can only be changed through RZ10 by setting the desired  value of the parameter "rdisp/wp_no_spo".

Regards,

Utkarsh

former_member185239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sap,

If the dynamic configuration has already setup in your system then you can increase the dynamic configurable work process in SAP.

otherwise maintain the parameter for the corresponding work process and then you need to restart the system.

With Regards

Ashutosh Chaturvedi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ashutosh,

How can we check the dynamic configuration set or not?

what are the conditions we need to take consideration while increasing the work process?

Please suggest