cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SE06 (Database Copy or Database Migration) Technical Details

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am performing a Homogeneous System Copy to move a SAP system (ABAP instance) to a different server (SQL Server Detach/Attach). I want everything to remain the same (just the host name of the server is changing). The SID is staying the same. I do NOT want to release any "modifiable" Change Requests and I do NOT want to release any "repair" locks. Everything needs to stay the same.

In a prior discussion, I received the recommendation that I should go ahead and run SE06 with the "Database Copy or Database Migration" option (even though the SID is not changing). I am trying to research the technical details of what really happens when I run SE06 in this manner. Can anyone help me out or point me to the appropriate documentation in regard to the following:

When I run SE06, select "Database Copy or Database Migration" and then <Perform Post-Installation Actions>, I then get the following prompts:

1) Re-install CTS?     (Given my scenario, I'm assuming that I would answer "YES"; Maybe this will make adjustments for the new host name.)

2) Change originals from source-SID to target-SID?  (I'm not changing the SID, so I would answer "NO")

3) Delete TMS?  (I'm assuming that I would answer "NO" because I want to keep my TMS configuration - especially if this is a domain controller)

4) Delete Transport Routes?   (I'm assuming that I would answer "NO" because I want to keep the existing TMS configuration - the only thing changing is the host name of the server.)

Again, I want to state that I do NOT want to release any "modifiable" change requests and I do NOT want to release any "repair" locks. I want to keep all my Transport Workflow information as well. My goal is just to relocate the system to a different server (I don't want to change anything other than the host name in the TMS configuration).

Can anyone comment on my answers to the above SE06 prompts or provide technical details of what each prompt causes to happen within the TMS?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello

Delete TMS?  (I'm assuming that I would answer "NO" because I want to keep my TMS configuration - especially if this is a domain controller)

What I understood is that this system is configured as DC and it is getting moved to a different server and will have a new host name. In that case you need to follow this:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/EN/35/2597d1fee611d184870000e8a57770/content.htm

If this system is not a DC then delete the TMS configuration from STMS and then add it to the DC after the move and adapt the transport routes.

If you run Tx SE06 and confirm all the prompts it is basically doing a reset of the TMS configuration.

The TMSADM RFC's are created with the host name. When you delete the TMS configuration for a system the TMSADM RFC for that system is deleted in addition to the settings.

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the information.

You stated that "If this system is not a DC then delete the TMS configuration from STMS and then add it to the DC after the move and adapt the transport routes."

If this is a development system (that is not a DC), will deleting the TMS configuration release "modifiable" Change Requests?  I need to make sure that Change Requests are NOT released.

Mark

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

If this is a development system (that is not a DC), will deleting the TMS configuration release "modifiable" Change Requests?  I need to make sure that Change Requests are NOT released.

Please check this link

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_crm40/helpdata/EN/44/b4a1367acc11d1899e0000e829fbbd/content.htm

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

Delete  TMS and deleting transport routes will not affect the status of your request. Once your post steps are complete you could add the system to the domain and from the trasport routes page you could give the option adjust with controller. And then you have your system in the same status as it was earlier.

Thanks

Sheetal

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

Looking to your scenario as the hostname gets change , do add entries in hosts and services directories in order to avoid RFC COMMUNICATION errors.

For more details over TMS configuration which options to opt for same <SID> after copy check this link

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_bankanalyzer42/helpdata/en/44/b4a27b7acc11d1899e0000e829fbbd/frameset.ht...

Also find attach link for TMS configuration.

http://www.sapbasismania.net/2012/11/how-to-configure-sap-transport-route.html

Hope this will help

Thanks

Vaibhav