Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

startsap with a remote db

benoit-schmid
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

As I have always had the SAP Application server on the same host as the DB, I would like

to know how startsap/stopsap works when the DB instance is on another host.

1. Does startsap/stopsap can still perform the start/shutdown of the remote DB instance?

2. If yes how does it connect to the remote DB to perform these steps?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

This doc explains that the different stop/start commands must be performed on each host.

Therefore startsap/stopsap does not perform the whole sequence in the case of multiple hosts.

Correct.

You need to stop SAP and DB separately on a Distributed setup.

It is clearly stated in the installation guide how to stop and start SAP systems on Central system, Distributed system and High-availability system.

If you try to start SAP using the startsap command you most likely will get this error message:

Database <SID> must be started on remote server

Log on to remote server and start database

Regards

RB

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member218171
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Benoit,

I have both centralized and distributed SAP systems and starting or stoping a SAP instance does not affect the database status (I have Oracle based on Windows), what you can do is to enable auto-start of the Oracle instance when the server is turned on.

Cheers!

benoit-schmid
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Cotton,

Cotton Bernard wrote:

Hi Benoit,

I have both centralized and distributed SAP systems and starting or stoping a SAP instance does not affect the database status (I have Oracle based on Windows), what you can do is to enable auto-start of the Oracle instance when the server is turned on.

Cheers!

Do you mean that there is no way stopsap/startsap can shutdown/start the remote db?

Regards,

former_member218171
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

For the remote DB, the start/stop SAP script doesn't have any access on the remote DB, however in a centralized system... only the start script works to initiate the DB. You can also use BRTOOLS (you need to make some extra configurations) to start/stop the remote DB.

Cheers!

benoit-schmid
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Bernard,

What do you mean by a centralized system?

Why would only the start work and not the stop?

Is there any doc on SAP Help concerning this?

By you can use the brtools, do you mean remotely or

just locally on the db host?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Benoit,

1. Does startsap/stopsap can still perform the start/shutdown of the remote DB instance? . Yes. startsap/stopsap script will take care of stopping DB in the remote server. It is based on the profile that is being created during the installation.

The connection part is taken care by oracle SQL client. profile parameters contains the details of the DBhost which will be used to connect to remote host by the startsap script and it stops.

Thanks and Regards,

Vimal

benoit-schmid
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Maria Joseph Vimalan wrote:

The connection part is taken care by oracle SQL client. profile parameters contains the details of the DBhost which will be used to connect to remote host by the startsap script and it stops.

This contradicts the documentation provided by Juan as it means that there is

no need to perform manually stopdb on db host.

Do you have an url for this documentation?

Regards,

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
benoit-schmid
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Juan Reyes wrote:

Read the Distributed system part of,

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/70/b38937809c8f71e10000009b38f842/frameset.htm

This doc explains that the different stop/start commands must be performed

on each host.

Therefore startsap/stopsap does not perform the whole sequence in the case

of multiple hosts.

Am I right?

Regards,