cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Posting excess qty in QA32

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me is it possible to post excess quantity in QA32 transaction. Because my client does not do physical checking at the time of GRN. Checking happens only at the time of QC.

So when the excess quantity is entered in QA32 and press enter key below mentioned error message pop's up

The sum of the quantities that still must be posted is   XXXX

Message no. QV118

Diagnosis

The sum of all the quantities that you entered is greater that the total quantity to be posted.

Procedure

Correct the data you entered.

I tried to figure out the reason but couldn't. As far as I am concerned SAP will not allow to post quantity which is in excess of GRN qty. Correct me if I am wrong. If I am wrong kindly let me know correct answer or procedure for posting excess qty.

Regards

V. Srinivasa Ranganath

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would say the answer is a combination of two of the above replies.  But first, you only say that you are doing this process for GRN.  Are we to assume this is just for in-house production?  Or are you referring to goods received from a vendor as well?

1) Sharat's reply where if the process or production order is known, and the order has not been TECO'ed, you should make all your adjustments via the order.  If for a purchase order, the same thing, any additional qty should be added via an additional 101 GR against the purchase order.

2) If you can't do number 1, than you can use the QCA1 transaction as suggested by Sudhakar.  This however is not the preferred method.  This is basically a write-on and write-off of stock.  As a result your statistics on the production and purchasing side will be incorrect.  You will basically show 100% yield all the time in production.   Vendors will always be paid on GR amount even if you received less than the ordered amount.  The average cost per unit in production will also be incorrect.  Your financial folks will probably not be happy about any of this.  QCA1 is really meant to be used in the case of cycle counting and physical inventory adjustments.  It is not something that should be used in the course of daily business.  You should always attempt to go back and get the count correct via the original documents.

On a quality consulting note, the practice you described would not typically be considered a best practice.  Production and receiving should both be responsible to count and verify what they make or receive.  The original count should not be a responsibility of a QA group outside of a possible verification of the count.  Inaccurate counts should be referred back to the original department/person that did the count for correction. If folks are not forced to correct or account for their mistakes, they have zero incentive to prevent future inaccuracies. 

Of course, there are businesses where the normal rules don't apply.  Maybe your involved with one of those in that 1%.

FF

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srinivasa,

You can very much adjust the quantity using transaction QAC1 per inspection lot.

Go to this transaction, enter the inspection lot and enter the actual lot quantity under Data for Correction as shown below:

This will post 101 movement type (or relevant movement according to inspection type and object assigned to it) in the background while saving.

This will adjust the quantity to be posted in QA32 and so you can post excess quantity from QI to unrestricted.

Reward if it is useful.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sudhakar,

Followed the steps suggested by you, but i am getting error message

"Entry 4600008057 00010 0000 not valid; correct entry  Message no. 8J182"

when i tried changing the quantity in QAC1 for the particular inspection lot number.

Could the error message because of insufficient stock or because of any wrong entry or missing part.

Kindly suggest corrective steps for rectifying the above mentioned error message.

Regards

V. Srinivasa Ranganath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Could the error message be because of insufficient stock or because of any wrong entry or missing part.

My intention of asking the above question is I want to know what should be done my side so that in future the mistake can be avoided.

Plz suggest

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I assume you have not even posted partial stock from QI using UD transaction.

I am not sure about the error message. I am not able to replicate it. I would suggest you to consult your MM consultant as this could be related to movement type configuration. (transaction OMJJ).

And please do let us know if it is helpful also.

svs_sap
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

If you do quantity check during QC then you also know for which production order this quantity belongs in shop floor, if you have then you can post to that Ilot that much quantity. If you do not have such practice in manufacturing then it is better to have to avoid which quantity you are posting to which order (to avoid ambiguity of data)  and this is the best practice.

If you still want to avoid this error message then find out with ABAP help whether this error message can be turned into warning or information. But as you told right, concept does not support to post higher quantity than produced and SAP does not support for this and it should not also.

Best regards,

Sharat

Former Member
0 Kudos

As you aware, you can't post the excess qty in QM side. QM will just inspect the quality in the available quantity received & you can post within that limit.

You can cancel the goods movement happened, so that Inspection lot will be cancelled. Again post the GR with appropriate qty. Else, post new GR for pending quantity which needs to be added.