cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Instance via System Copy (Follow-up)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am moving a SAP ABAP instance to a different server by performing a system copy (SID is not Changing). The source system was running on Windows Server 2003 and the target system will be running Windows Server 2012. I am using the Homogeneous System Copy with the SQL Server Database Specific method (detach/attach).

Normally when we perform a system refresh by doing a system copy (SID is changing), we run SE06 in the follow-up steps and then select <Perform Post-Installation Actions> with the "Database Copy or Database Migration" option selected.  In this case, the SID is not changing (we are moving the system). Is it still necessary to run SE06 with <Perform Post-Installation Actions> in this scenaro?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

It good to run the step SE06 as a part of post installation actions as it will adjust the TMS information based on new server.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

As Deepak suggested it is always better to run SE06 after each system copy , whether or not SID is changing.

Thanks and Regards,

Kunal Gahlot

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for all the replies to my question.

I have a follow up question related to what actually happens when you run SE06 with the "Database Copy or Database Migration" option.

In my case (moving a system) via a System Copy, I do not want to release any Change Requests that are in a "Modifiable" state. I also do not want to release any "Repair" locks that are on objects. I want the system to look exactly like it did before I started the move. My goal is just to relocate the system to a different server (that has a higher OS version and DB version).

When I run SE06 with the "Database Copy or Database Migration" option, I would be specifying that the source and target SID is the same. Will it try to release any Change Requests? Any insight into what is technically happening when I run SE06 in this manner would be appreciated. I am a little concerned about the TMS configuration since the host name is going to be different.

Thanks.

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

SE06 should be run second if not first, after every such activity, thus is important and does what is stated by other, esp adjustment of TMS info.

Regards,

Divyanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi mark,

Yes, you need to run SE06 even after completion of system copy as it enables you to perform following functions as post installation actions:-

1. Generating basic settings of change and transport organizer .

2. Closing other open requests & tasks.

3. System change settings.

For more information, you check http://itsiti.com/se06-processing-after-installation-of-cto link.

Regards,

Nilutpal.