cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Existing Jobs not listed in SAP CPS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

I am very new to SAP CPS. So please bear with me for this silly question.

My client is about to implement the SAP CPS in their environment. My doubt is regarding the existing jobs already running in the system.

I installed the SAP CPS in the sandboz environment and connected with sandbox system however am not able to monitor the jobs which are already running in the system via CPS.

However i created a job via CPS and able to monitor the same. so after implementing the SAP CPS do i need to reschedule all the jobs via SAP CPS?

How do i proceed further? Please provide some light on this issue.

Regards,

Raja. G

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

nanda_kumar21
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hey Raja,

CPS will not automatically retrieve all the jobs that are already running in SAP CPS.

You can either import them directly to SAP CPS or create them manually in SAP CPS.

Either way, you will have to stop the schedules that already running in SAP and then schedule them fresh from SAP CPS.

Thanks

Nanda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Nanda,

Thanks for your reply.

You have mentioned like we can import them directly to SAP CPS. We tried to configure our SAP CPS to solution manager system to import the jobs. However still we are facing an issue.

Please let me know the sequence to import the jobs from ECC system to SAP CPS.

Regards,

Raja. G

h_carpenter
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Raja,

Basically, you run SAP_ImportCcmsJobs to import specific CCMS (SM36) job parameter combinations (client, abap, variant, etc). You can then schedule these from within CPS.

Another thing you can do is intercept jobs, this means that the initial job scheduling is handled in the SAP instance, as usual, and CPS then takes control of the job before it starts running to make sure certain criteria are met before allowing it to execute (using a specific Queue, for example). Job interception can be configured on the CPS "SAP system" object (Environment > SAP Systems).

Before implementing interception, make sure to set the rules to "Monitor" first, to make sure you do not intercept the wrong jobs.

Regards,

HP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Carpenter,

We are trying to import the already existing jobs in SAP system to CPS.

As you mentioned we are not sure to intercept the jobs in CPS system. We created the systems in

(Environment > SAP Systems).

Please provide the detailed steps to intercept the jobs or provide any blog or SAP document to perform the same.

We have more than 500 jobs running in our enviornment so i think instead of intercept, importing the jobs would be best option. Please advise on this.

Regards,

Raja. G

Former Member
0 Kudos

On the connection to the SAP system you can specify "Monitoring"/"Interception"/etc.

Setup monitoring to just monitor existing jobs, as hC mentioned.

Interception intercepts stated jobs and takes over scheduling.

And/or you can import jobs to CPS and have them all "live" there. I would suggest that this would be the way to go for taking CPS long term - so that you control all batch scheduling centrally and take advantage of Job Chains etc.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jamie,

As you said if we specify it as monitor then the jobs will be scheduled from ECC not via CPS.

How the centralized job scheduling will happen?

Regards,

Raja. G

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If all the ECC jobs comes in SAP CPS when i made it as monitoring.

It implies those jobs are running via CPS or do i need to copy all the jobs and schedule via CPS and delete the actual jobs at SAP ECC.

Please clarify. Still am confused with already existing jobs and scheduling part.

Regards,

Raja. G

Former Member
0 Kudos

Monitoring = No scheduling controlled in CPS - you just have visibility from there.

Interception = CPS takes over scheduling for jobs matching patterns in rules

Full Job Control = (a) import existing jobs to CPS to "live" there - use standard CPS import jobs - e.g. SAP_ImportCcmsJobs (b) any new jobs setup in CPS, not SAP. Now CPS is can become central location for batch job control for all connected systems (and not just SAP - UNIX crontab jobs, etc, etc).

Does this answer your question? Normally during initial projects to implement CPS in an existing environment you'll need a cutover plan to move live jobs from SAP to CPS. If you have any existing complex tools for batch job control you may want to just intercept or monitor them initially.

( NB CPS = SAP CPS by Redwood, so it is still a SAP system, but hopefully this all makes sense to you. In my text I refer to moving jobs from "SAP" as in all other SAP systems CPS manages batch jobs for.

NNB Make sure you've enabled XBP in managed systems per the admin guide)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for the detailed information.

However nowhere in the installation or troubleshooting document mentioned about the cutover plan for already existing environments. So we have import all the jobs at CPS and make it in scheduled state and do the cutover plan to hold the SAP ECC jobs and schedule it via CPS.

But it needs lot of planning without affecting the business.

Let me check for any document regarding or any forums discussed on cutover plan.

Regards,

Raja. G

nanda_kumar21
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hey Raja,

As Jamie suggested it is always better to have a plan in place.

Remember that, when you import the Job definitions, from SAP into CPS, you are importing only the job information like program name, job name, variant. It will not have the schedule information.

So you can import the jobs any time you want, it will not affect the business.

You have to think of when  to stop the job in SAP and start the same job from CPS.

For example,

I have a daily job SALES_ORDER_A, that is already running in SAP every day at 2:00PM.

I can import the job into CPS any time i want, since it is just import of the job information like ABAP program, Variant. Importing the job will not automatically start the job from CPS.

Now the next day, say at 10:00AM (or any time before 2:00PM), i can go to SM37, delete the scheduled job and then schedule the job from CPS to start 2:00PM.

Now there is nothing affecting the business.

If you have few number of business related jobs, you can follow this method without affecting business.

thanks

Nanda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nanda,

As you said fewer no of jobs can be done in this way. However in my case ECC alone having 300+ jobs so manually doing it for each jobs will be tedious process and also it will take lot of time and effort. Similarly we need to concentrate on other environments as well like BW, etc.

I am more concerned on that and how SAP missed this in the documentation for already existing environments.

Regards,

Raja. G

h_carpenter
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

In fact, the "hardest part" is creating the schedules in CPS. That is, every 2 days, every 4 hours etc .... you can script the whole stuff once you have a list of jobs + schedules. Group the jobs by schedule.

You import all jobs first, then you write a script  to submit the jobs according to their respective schedule. You can obviously also hire a consultant to do these things ... the advantage is you have support for their implementation.

Regards,

HP

h_carpenter
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Raja,

Thinking about it, it might be worth getting a CPS consultant on-site ... these guys are wizards.

Regards,

HP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Carpenter,

It is really very hard to implement in already existing enviornments it seems. However it is not discussed in the documents at all. I raised message with SAP as well to get some note or document as we cant simply convince the client in oral. We expect some notes mentioned these informations. Thanks for Jamie, Carpenter and Nanda. Give me sometime to close this thread.

Regards,

Raja. G

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

Thanks for everyone.

As i mentioned SAP replied like we need to schedule the jobs via CPS seperately after importing to CPS.

SAP itself mentioned like its an hard task. Let me try to get any script to do so.

Thanks for your efforts to clear the basics of SAP CPS.

Regards,

Raja. G

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

nanda_kumar21
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Praveen Kommineni wrote:

Hi..

we are now actually stuck with configuration and dint find any good document to intercept all the existing jobs to redwood and also need to setup alerting... Please let me know if you have the instrustions handy...if you have take any screen shots while doing this.. please send to my email..

thanks in advance..

Praveen

I highly doubt you searched all the places for the document. There is very recent thread on the same topic:

The document- admin guide contains easy to follow examples for all cases and to setup interception and alerting.

When you say stuck, what do you mean? you got an error? or you are not able to run the jobs?

Explain in detail.

Second thing, you're posting a question to a thread that is already solved.

Please create a new thread for your questions.

thanks

Nanda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Will do.. thanks..

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

nanda_kumar21
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hey Raja,

CPS will not automatically retrieve all the jobs that are already running in SAP CPS.

You can either import them directly to SAP CPS or create them manually in SAP CPS.

Either way, you will have to stop the schedules that already running in SAP and then schedule them fresh from SAP CPS.

Thanks

Nanda