cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different Kernel Patch Level in one Landscape

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

we have ERP ECC6 in one of our customers landscape (Dev, QAS, Prd)

I have upgraded the Dev system Kernel patch level.

Is it necessary to upgrade the QAS and Prd kernels too? is there going to be any inconsistency? or can i leave them with the old kernels for a temporary time?

WR,

Salameh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ideally you should keep the kernel consistent across the landscape.

Having different kernels may lead to slight differences on the system behavior which can be crucial at the time of testing a new development or troubleshooting an issue.

My recommendation will be to update the kernel in the rest of the landscape as soon as possible,

Regards, Juan

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All experts,

Thank you so much for your kind attentions and replies.

I found all of them helpful and useful.

for your information i only have Dev, QAS, Prd systems in my landscape.

WR,

Salameh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

As mentioned earlier that they should same across landscape.

Can you please let me know what is the turn around time you are think for the testing of the kernel.

Second thing do you have DEV, QUA and PRD system only or another support system landscape which you dont patch and can compare that landscape for a week if any issues come after kernel upgrade and some functionality is not working.

Life cycle for kernel upgrade should not run more than a week or two. So that all the system come to same patch level after 2 weeks.

Thanks

Rishi Abrol

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Salameh,

Generally, it's good to have same kernel level across the landscape.

It's good to start kernel upgrade from your sandbox (Since, it will be a copy of Production system).

Give a gap for a week before upgrading in Development system. During which you might come across problem which might not have dealt with level you have upgraded to.

It's always best to provide a week of gap before next upgrade (For Quality, Pre-Production and Production systems).

Publishing Annual Plan for Kernel Upgrade for your systems is good for every one in your organization.

Thanks & Regards,

Ananda Swaroop 

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sohi,

Performance, Improvement and functional corrections are always are part of new kernel. You should, therefore, keep the level same across the landscape.

Regards,

Divyanshu

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Salameh,

It is good to have same kernel across the landscape. First testing can be done in DEV and later in QAS before rolling the updated kernel to PRD.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori