cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why an OS/DB Migration when upgrading Windows Server Version?

0 Kudos

Our SAP servers, running Oracle DB, are still on Windows 2003 Enterprise.

We are planning a migration to Windows 2008 R2 (or possibly Windows 2012).

For our ABAP only systems (non-Java systems) why do we need to do an OS/DB migration to move our database to upgrade our Windows 2003 Enterprise platform.

Why can't we just install Oracle on new servers, do a homogenous system copy (so move our datafiles for the database) to the new server and start up our new database?  Why do we have to do an export and import of our Oracle database?  If the underlying file system was changing I could understand (and for our Java based systems I understand we would have to export the Java components) but I don't understand when the filesystem is not changing?

I have never been able to find an explanation for this so if someone can please enlighten me I would really appreciate it!

Thank you!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

daniele_dutra
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Felicity,

Not sure where you found this requirement of OS/DB migration via export and import. As you are not changing the OS and neither the DB and only going to a higher release it is considered a Homogeneous System Copy and you can use the database specific methods as mentioned by Eduardo.

Best Regards,

Daniele

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

There is no need for an OS/DB migration in your case.

A heterogeneous (migration) system copy comes into the picture only if there is a change in the OS and/or DB.

There is no need for an export and import.

If you are running on a lower version of Oracle database on the source server then you need to install 11G on the target machine and restore the source database there.

Once the restore has been completed you can upgrade the database.

Regards

RB

former_member184473
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Felicity,

You can perform the system copy using the database methods (e.g. backup/restore).

Check the system copy guide under service.sap.com/instguides

Regards,

Eduardo Rezende