cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ECC install and system copy - Post install steps required?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have installed ECC 6.0 in windows/sql environment. I have to perform a system copy from production to this newly installed system. Before performing system copy do I have to install all support packs and add-on components similar to the production system? Do I have to create clients as well similar to production? Please advise. Is there any other post installation step needed before copying from production? The goal is to create a system similar to production system.

Thanks,

Kavitha Rajan.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member184473
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Kavitha,

You must perform the post installation steps (note 1890950).
You can choose a database especific mehtod (backup/restore or detach/attach note 151603) or database independet method (export/import, check the system copy guide).

Regards,

Eduardo Rezende

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eduardo,

I am still not clear. Let me ask my question again. I am planning to create a system similar to our production system. ECC 6.0 SR2 on windows 2003/sql2005. What is the best method?

I thought, install the SAP ECC 6.0 SR2 and copy from production?

1. First install ECC 6.0.
  2. Post installation steps needed like SP upgrade, kernel upgrade etc similar to production?- My question is this..
  3. Homogenous system copy from production followed by post copy steps.

Is SWPM supported for our release? Do I have to use SWPM rather than what I thought to perform? Please advise.

Thanks,

Kavitha Rajan.

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello

Install a brand new system on the target server.

Restore the production database backup to the target system.

You don't need to do any SP upgrade as the support packs are stored in the database.

You may need to put the kernel on the same level. Just copy the kernel from the production system to the target system.

Regards

RB

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kavitha

Kindly proceed as following once you have your new system ready with OS and DB installed in it:

Perform Homogenous System copy from PRD to new system( Since you have to use MS Sql DB you can choose either backup/restore or detach/attach method)

After completion of System copy you have to follow the post installation steps to change the system configurations,all the RFC and communication channels to new system

I don't know about the SWPM but kindly follow the SCN link http://scn.sap.com/community/netweaver-administrator/blog/2013/03/13/sap-software-provisioning-manag...

Kindly follow the SAP Note which already mention by  Mr.Eduardo and also follow some of the tasks

Import Profiles - RZ10

Configure STMS

Delete the Entries from SMLG Transactions

Delete the Entries from RZ12 –RFC Server Group Maintenance

Change Client Settings SCC4
Check out Entries in AL11

Reapply the new  SAPLICENSE

Reschedule Housekeeping Jobs- SM36
Run SGEN

Thanks

Sriram

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi RB,

Are you sure that SP upgrade or add-on components install are not required before system refresh. Source and target need not be same before system refresh? Please confirm again.

Thanks,

Kavitha Rajan.

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No, Support packages are not more than a collection of Notes and fixes applied at DB level... hence they will be copied from the source.

It is required that SPS are the same when you do a remote client copy or a client export/import.

Regards, Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Juan,

What about Add-on installations like Vistex?

Thanks,

Kavitha Rajan.

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Kavitha

What about Add-on installations like Vistex?

All Add-on's, Support packages are stored in the database.

For an ABAP stack only the kernel files and the SAP profiles are stored at the file system level (disk level)

Regards

RB

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, and logs, traces, stats files, security audit files, transports, etc, etc... :-D,   But the Add-ons are certainly stored at DB level.

Regards, Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you ALL for helping me.

Regards,

Kavitha.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

daniele_dutra
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Kavitha,

Please note that you should *not* install your target system before the system copy! For ECC systems, which are based on 7.0x, a refresh of the database is *not* supported.

A refresh means that you have two already installed systems, and copy only the database content of one to another.

You should perform a system copy instead of a refresh. During the system copy (with SWPM, which is supported for ECC 6.0 and should be used here), one of the phases is called the "Target System Installation".

The target system installation will install your new system, and stop in the middle for you to load the database content of your production system (source system).

You can consult the system copy guides at www.service.sap.com/instguides and download SWPM from www.service.sap.com/sltoolset. Please also see the note about SWPM:

http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1680045

Best Regards,

Daniele