Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Threads being deleted

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Moderators,

In the past few days, I have seen a couple of threads being deleted in the SAP SD forum.

One of them is http://scn.sap.com/message/14285205#14285205

When I click this thread, it lead to -

Unauthorized

Access to this place or content is restricted. If you think this is a mistake, please contact your administrator or the person who directed you here.

Why are threads being deleted?

I think that the queries were "basic" (or discussed previously in the forum). But why delete input from members, which could be beneficial for members (now and in the future).

Rather than deleting, the thread can be locked.

In this above thread the OP wanted a business example of Business Area.

I searched many threads in SCN, to give him/her a link; rather than explaining the concept myself.

I could not find a posts that explained Business Area in clear and simple terms, that is why I gave the OP a simple business example.

Futhermore, this example was complemented as clear by another member.

In my opinion, deleting threads is not a good habit. And moderators should not get in to this habit.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Jurgen, G. Lakshmipathi,

Thank you for your input!

This thread is closed.

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In my opinion, deleting threads is not a good habit. And moderators should not get in to this habit.

Though Jurgen has already given a detailed explanation to your query,  I would like to ask you WHY it is not a good habit and why Moderators should not get into this habit.

In fact, by locking such basic / repeated threads, it will only dump the forum unnecessarily and it is a big head-ache for SCN team members to clean the forum for better performance.  Of course, I have not sure on the thread which you were referring to.

G. Lakshmipathi

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If a discussion had an abuse report, and the moderator accepted it, then the content is hidden - automatically.

if you follow other discussions, then you could know that the moderator has to reject the abuse report to keep it visible, and then he would need to take extra steps to lock it and explain the locks. This caused as well a couple of public discussion recently.

The author had certainly get a message that the content was rejected.

That should be enough.

I think it is not necessary to discuss and justify each rejection with the whole community.

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Jurgen,

My query is - why delete threads? A thread could be locked (if required)

This way members can access the material and benefit by it.

(Taking the above thread as reference, as it did not have any "abusive" content etc.)

Moreover, if a thread is locked or deleted, then all the "participants" of that thread should get notification.

As their post(s) is also getting impacted.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

it is your opinion that this thread had not any abusive content, others had probably a different opinion. if user A reported it abusive and moderator B approved this, the there were already two who saw it different.

you just see this one discussion, the moderator may have checked the history of the user. It could be that the same discussion was posted in another SCN forum (cross posting rule)

It could be that the user had repeatedly asked basic questions in the past and a certain point of time it is just enough and the moderator has to make an example.

It can be that the moderator had 50+ items in the moderation queue, and at least then it is not anymore possible to spend a lot time with individual abuse reports.Then it is from my point of view more important to care about the non-abusive content to get this approved to make it visible, than doing some minutes extra work to pet abusive content and allow contributors to still earn the LIKE points for answering basic questions.

I have not rejected this discussion, and I have not clicked abuse, however I think I read  this discussion and I crunched with my teeth as I saw the big picture that was copied into this discussion. And if we are talking about the same discussion, then I can tell you that this was not the first content of him that was rejected.

Any kept discussion, even locked, can appear in the search.

if something is a frequently asked question and was already discussed 150 times, and after a certain time you have another 150 locked items.

Now, the people who really search are actually punished because they have 300 hits, and every second is locked, has no answer or was locked before the right answer was given

What do you think is this better?