cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

virtual hostname for failover cluster

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am planning to install sap ERP 6.0 SR3 on microsoft failover cluster 2008 r2. I have read installation document in the networking part which i understand is there

would be one cluster group which is configured with virtual ip x when i fire command ipconfig i am able to see that virtual ip in ipconfig but not in faiover manager.

As mentioned in the installation guide we have to use two more virtual ip's for sapcluster group and dbcluster group. My N/W administrator has provided me two ips say

y and z stating that it is virtual ip and asked you can take watever hostname you want. Keeping standards in mind i have given the name in host file.

My prod planning some what like this 2 nodes node1 and node2, but all the cluster disk is in node2 so no other choice rather than installing ASCS and db in one node

(node2) and ci in another node

I would be using swpm for installing

And istallation would go somewhat like this...

installing oracle s/w and osf in both the node locally

oracle-->ha-->first cluster node, db, add.., ci,  di

My query is

what virtual host should i use while running first cluster node?

what virtual host should i use while running DB?

I mean while firing command sapinst.exe USE_SAPINST_HOST_NAME=<VIRTUAL HOST>

And what i understand from inst guide and description given in sapinst.exe is we dont have to use virtual host name while processing additonal configuration and we can

use physical hostname while installing ci and di

Kindly advice how should i proceed.

Regards,

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Balactia,

Consider below scenario

Physical Hostname of CI Node (First Node) : NODE1

Physical IP of CI Node (First Node) : 192.168.23.1

Physical Hostname of DB Node (Second Node) : NODE2

Physical IP of DB Node (Second Node) : 192.168.23.2

Virtual Hostname of CI Node (First Node) : SAPGROUP

Virtual IP of CI Node (First Node) : 192.168.23.3

Virtual Hostname of DB Node (Second Node) : DBGROUP

Virtual IP of DB Node (Second Node) : 192.168.23.4

1) Add below four entries in the host file of both nodes.

2) Move all cluster disk to first node. (take the help of windows cluster team to move the cluster disk to first node)

3) Install oracle software, failsafe server and failsafe client on  both node (Local disk)

4) Take reboot after the installation. After reboot make sure that all cluster disk should be available at first node.

5) Install the Central services instance on first node

Use the command line sapinst.exe SAPINST_USE_HOSTNAME=SAPGROUP

6)  Rest all installation you can perform with SAPINST, no need to run the above command.

Thanks

Ramesh Nair

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ramesh,

1. Don't I need to write sapinst.exe SAPINST_USE_HOSTNAME=DBGROUP while installing db            instance since db will also be in the cluster

2. If i fire ipconfig either on node1 or node2 virtual ip dbgroup and sapgroup would be visible

Regards,

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bala

1. Don't I need to write sapinst.exe SAPINST_USE_HOSTNAME=DBGROUP while installing db instance since db will also be in the cluster

No, you can start the DB Instance installation Normal way (use the SAPINST.EXE ) at any point of time you no need to start the installation by using the DBGRP

2. If i fire ipconfig either on node1 or node2 virtual ip dbgroup and sapgroup would be visible

No, SAP,DB & Windows cluster groups are active in which node that node it will display all the local, private & virtual IP address 

Thanks
Sriram

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bala

You have to install the windows 2008 failover cluster, DB instance (Oracle DB instance on Failover cluster) & SAP cluster groups

Number of IP address:
a) Two physical Nodes – 2 public IP & 2 private IP

b) Windows Cluster Group IP (public)

c) DB cluster group IP (public)

d) Sap Cluster Group IP (public)

Totally 2 private IP & 5 public IPs

Kindly follow the Installation steps :                                                 

1. Central services instance for ABAP installation.

Use the command line sapinst.exe SAPINST_USE_HOSTNAME=<Virtual Host Name>

Note - during the installation time all the cluster resource should be in Node 1

2 Central services instance for JAVA installation.

3 First MSCS node installation

4 Database Instance Installation

5 Additional or Second MSCS node installation

6 Enqueue replication server installation for ABAP in Node I

7 Enqueue replication server installation for JAVA in Node I 

8 Enqueue replication server installation for ABAP in Node II

9 Enqueue replication server installation for JAVA in Node II

10Central Instance Installation in Node I

11 Second node installation as per the installation guide 

12 Post processing steps after system copy

Kindly go thru the Installation Guide link - http://service.sap.com/instguides

Thanks

Sriram

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks Sriram for valuable answer.

What i have right now is

2 nodes all the cluster disk is configured in node1, node2 is with local disk only

I am planning to install ascs and db in node 1 in cluster disk

My administrator has provided me with 2 virtual ip's one for my sapgroup and another for db

now what i understand is while installing ascs i.e. First cluster node option i have to execute sapinst.exe SAPINST_USE_HOSTNAME = <virtual hostname for sapgroup>

and while installing db in the same node where ascs is installed i have to execute

sapinst.exe SAPINST_USE_HOSTNAME = <virtual hostname for dbgroup>

Regards,

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bala

2 nodes all the cluster disk is configured in node1, node2 is with local disk only

I don't know about the Oracle DB. But we have done in  the cluster environment with MS Sql 2008 R2.  Three Disk volumes are require in Windows 2008 MSCS with MS Sql 2008 R2

1. Windows cluster disk Quorum (Less than 1 gb)

2. DB cluster

3. SAP ASCS & SCS service Cluster disk

My administrator has provided me with 2 virtual ip's one for my sapgroup and another for db

First install & configure the Windows 2008 with MSCS, then  install the Oracle DB installation as per the SAP Standard and check the DB failover  Create the SAP Group on MSCS Failover Cluster assign the IP and DNS (With DNS name all end users and all other communication are take place to SAP system)

Kindly refer the below screen shot

Thanks

Sriram

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

This is the first time i am installing sap in windows failover cluster i would be using swpm for installation in that it will automatically configure sap group yes it may ask some inputs but i dont have to do any manually activity.

so virtual hostname which have you have mentioned in your earlier comment refers to the virtual hostname of the respective dbgroup and sapgroup

so i would be using below command for installation of db

sapinst.exe SAPINST_USE_HOSTNAME = <virtual hostname for dbgroup>

and for ascs

sapinst.exe SAPINST_USE_HOSTNAME = <virtual hostname for sapgroup>

Please correct me if I am wrong anywhere

Regards,

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi bala

I am not tried with SWPM. First two steps you have to use the command line( ASCS & SCS)   balance all the steps you can start the SAPINST from the windows explore.

Thanks

Sriram

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Balactia,

I shall suggest you to inform your Windows Administrator to get 2 more virtual IPs based on the installation guide. It would be easy for you to work on the installation.

While performing installation you need to specifically specify the hostnames using the command

sapinst.exe USE_SAPINST_HOST_NAME=<VIRTUAL HOST>

This option to be used only for instances which shall be part of cluster like DB , ASCS, ERS etc.

Rest other instances can be installed with physical hostname.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori