cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC - Continuous Monitoring: Data Source & Rule Transport

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have DEV, QA, and PROD environments.  These questions are in regards to Process Control and how to modify & transport Existing rules. 

We have Rules (connected to data sources) in our PROD environment.  We are modifying the rules in our DEV environment and then plan to transport the updated rules to QA and then PROD.  My understanding of the transport process for Rules is as follows:

a) Prepare Data Sources in Original System for Transport: would only need to perform this step if we have created a new datasource.  i.e. the rule being transported is connected to a datasource that does not already exist in the target system

b) Prepare Business Rules with Data Sources in Original System for Transport: start here with this step if I need to transport a rule that has been updated and already exists in the target system or if I am transporting a new rule which uses an existing data source that is already in the target system.

c) Reset Connector and Status for Data Sources in original sys after transport - only need to perform if (a) was performed.

d) Reset Connector and Status for Bus. Rules with Data Sources After Transport - only need to perform if (b) was performed.

e) Set Connector and Status for Data Source in Target System - only need to perform if (a) was performed.

f) Set Connector and Status for Bus. Rules with Data Sources in Target System - only need to perform if (b) was performed.

So, here is my issue:  if I perform steps b, d, and f for the business rules I am modifying in DEV and then transport to QA it appears I will have 2 rules in the target system with the same name but different ID's - both the original one and the updated one. 

1) How should this situation be handled? 

2) Is it just a matter or deleting the older version of the rule from the target system?

Thank you for your assistance.  I normally support our ECC system and I am just coming up to speed with GRC-PC.

Denise Fockler

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Denise,

Here are few things add to your current scenario.

• Prepare Data Sources in Original System for Transport: : Need to perform every time despite you have created new Data Source or already have an old DS.
  • Prepare Business Rules with Data Sources in Original System for Transport: Need To perform every time after making any changes to Business Rule (Filter Value Change,Deficiency Field Change, Technical Setting etc)

• Reset Connector and Status for Data Sources in original system after transport : Need to perform every time once the changes are moved to Target System.(Quality/Production)
  • Reset Connector and Status for Buisness Rules with Data Sources After Transport : Need to perform every time once the changes are moved to Target System.(Quality/Production).

• Set Connector and Status for Data Source in Target System(Quality/Production) : Need to perform every time once the changes are imported into target system.
  • Set Connector and Status for Bus. Rules with Data Sources in Target System(Quality/Production) : Need to perform every time once the changes are imported into target system.

Note:

Point no 3 and 4 is very important many people just forget to reset connector in Original system(Development) and later face issue when requirement came for that particular BRs'.

Try to follow above procedure.

Moreover

• Two different IDs will be reflected only if you copy the existing BR  and create new BR with same functionality(if the BR in verge of corruption) or if a new BR is created with Same name and description.

• It is not a standard practice to delete an existing BR  (You cannot perform Audit the changes for that BR)

Hope this information will help you.

Regards

Rishabh Sahu

sickwell
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Denise,

could you provide - what sub-scenario used in your's data source?

If you use sap queries, you transport it to Productive system?

When you transport data sources and business rules, you define rfc connectors?

i mean you select rfc connecters when exporting ds and br data.