cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Dialog Instance connecting to Linux DB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I couldn't find any instruction on how to install a dialog instance on Windows whereas the DB and the ASCS + PAS resides on Linux system. I think my installation fails because Windows doesn't have access to some of the shared filesystems like /sapmnt. I want to provide the shared filesystems not via the Linux hosts, but via a filer which provides the shared file system via NFS and CIFS to all instances.

The error is:

ERROR      2013-08-14 15:00:20.615

CJSlibModule::writeError_impl()

CJS-30129  Creating node $(DIR_INSTALL) with type DIRECTORY failed. Original exception text was: syslib.filesystem.nodeCreationFailed:

Unable to create node \\cimat\sapmnt\ with type DIRECTORY: can't create parent node...

The hostname "cimat" is SAPGLOBALHOST, which is the virtual IP where my ASCS runs at. Of course, without a Samba share or something like this, the Windows server cannot access anything which is on cimat. And I don't want my Windows dialog instance to acces anything on the Linux hosts, but get access to the shared folder via a network drive comming from a filer (the exact same directories which will be mounted via NFS by the Linux servers will also be provided as CIFS shares to the Windows host).

How can I explain sapinst that he should acces the shared folders the way I want??

Matt

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member218805
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

Check Note 1067221, which is the main note for heterogeneous installations.

SAPinst will always try to access the SAP Global Host, from an Windows host, using the path

\\<sapglobalhost\sapmnt\<SID>.

The dialog instances also must have access to the SAP Global Host, that means, the Additional Application Server installed on Windows must be able to access the Linux ASCS.

Therefore, you must ensure the above path is accessible from the windows host using Samba or a comparable tool.

Best Regards,

Alessandro Parolin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for the clarification! Apparently that's not the answer I wanted to hear

When I really have to go with Samba, then my whole LVM setup doesn't work. How could this be "adaptive" in any way? If I want my Central Services on Linux to be flexible, then I have to configure Samba on any potential host...

Or does only the installation procedure need the access to the SAPGLOBALHOST directories and afterwards there have to be no access to them?

Thanks, Matt

former_member218805
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

I'm afraid that won't be possible, as that is the default SAP directory structure.

Please, check the picture below, which I got from page 87/156 from this installation guide (for NW 7.0x ABAP on Windows + MaxDB). I used this guide as I don't know what is the NW release you have, nor your environment. To get accurate information, please refer to the correct guide for your release. Nevertheless, the main idea is always similar:

Furthermore, the guide also says:

"Other application servers access the global data using the Universal Naming Convention (UNC) path \\<SAPGLOBALHOST>\sapmnt. The SAP programs access their instance-specific data with the UNC path \\<SAPLOCALHOST>\saploc. If the UNC path points to a local directory, the local path (and not the UNC path) is used to access the directory."

The above means the application servers must be able to access the path

\\<SAPGLOBALHOST>\sapmnt after the system is installed as well. Therefore, it must be available from the Windows host.

I hope that clarifies your doubt.

Best Regards,

Alessandro

Former Member
0 Kudos

So be it, I'll have to live with that design...

Thank you for detailed answer!

Matt

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Matthias,

you should probably directly contact me to discuss this question.

regards

Peter