Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Troubleshooting VC 7.3 migrated model?

mh97
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I just started using Visual Composer 7.3, after having (years ago) built several models on VC 7.0.  I migrated a model, fixed all the "red" messages and ignored the warnings (which all appeared benign) from the migration report, and tried to deploy it. Deployment fails and I get a message "Exception on server while running the build process". But no messages in the console area. Looking at the Help, it appears that the troubleshooting choices are limited to looking at the console messages (there are none) or looking at log files on the server. I had a Basis person send me the log file from the server and it's not very informative to me.  Lots of stuff like

java.lang.NullPointerException: while trying to invoke the method java.lang.String.equalsIgnoreCase(java.lang.String) of an object loaded from local variable 'oclass'

at com.sap.portal.modeling.generation.modelgenerator.xgl.XGLComponentBuilder.buildVflow(XGLComponentBuilder.java:252)

at com.sap.portal.modeling.generation.modelgenerator.xgl.Parser.parse(Parser.java:180)

at com.sap.portal.modeling.generation.modelgenerator.xgl.Parser.parse(Parser.java:190)

at com.sap.portal.modeling.generation.modelgenerator.xgl.Parser.parse(Parser.java:190)

at com.sap.portal.modeling.generation.modelgenerator.xgl.Parser.parseModel(Parser.java:76)

at ................................

... yada yada yada ....

... and so forth ...

Ok I get that it might have something to do with a mixed case it doesn't like in a string value somewhere (probably only a couple hundred or so of those to check, ha ha) ... or not.

Other than selectively deleting stuff from the model and trying to deploy again, until it works, any ideas what else I can do to resolve this? Is this really the only kind of troubleshooting available on Visual Composer 7.3?  (I couldn't find any "check" or "inspect" functions. I couldn't even find how to display the migration report again ... never could get it to open in the browser ... screen printed every bit of it .... I think ...)

Note, I am using VC in the browser only at this time.

Thanks for any assistance / advice / sympathy you can give!

Margaret

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Margaret,

I sugget you have a look at the migration handbook:

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-1382

Maybe it got some info that would help you.

Other than that, before even going into the migration procees I reccomend reading this article:

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-3205

It overviews the diffent possibilities when moving from Visual Composer 7.0 to 7.3.

Best regards,

Udi

mh97
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Udi,

Thanks for your suggestions. I had reviewed both of those documents. The first is helpful in understanding what to do about errors on the migration report. The second is interesting but in our situation, keeping the old system alive is not an option, so we must migrate or rebuild any models that we wish to keep.

I created a very simple model - one form with one text element - in my old system, migrated that (all green on migration report) and still get the server error when I try to deploy it. Yet I can build the same model from scratch in the new system and deploy it with no problem. So I think at this point I will probably send a message to SAP support. Or just rebuild all my models from scratch ... sigh.

Regards,

Margaret

former_member296886
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Margaret

Just wanted to find out if you managed to get past these errors as I am getting them as well and how you managed to do so.

Thanks & regards

Nelson

mh97
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nelson,

I never did get past these errors in Visual Composer. We decided to recreate the models in ABAP Web Dynpro. It was probably less work and the result is an application that we are better able to support, as anyone on our development team can work in web dynpro.

If you have that option, and not too many models, you may want to consder it. Sorry I don't have a better answer for you!

Margaret

Answers (0)