cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wily agent update on solman 7.1

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, all

I have installed the Wily EM version 9. However, the agent deployed by solman 7.1 is still version 8. I know that you can install the agent manually. But is there is a way to get solman to deploy the agent gracefully? Since the bytcode installation will fail if I deploy the agent manually, is there any impact to the solman modules that use Wily?

Thanks,

Jonathan.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you all for your response. The SMD agents are automatically restarted after I turn off maintenance mode on the agent admin. So yes, they are all restarted. However, I am not sure how to push the agent I installed to the managed system. From your response, it sounds like there is something I missed. Here is the screen shot for the software component info and the bytecode installation screen. Please advise.

As you can see, the new agent is not selectable in the introscope agent setup even though it is installed. Not sure what I am missing.

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That 2nd screenshot is the screen I was thinking of and I also have wondered why an 8.x agent was being selected by default vs v 9.x.

As for the installed component of ISAGENT, it is best not to remove it as other items could be tied to it also and your MOpz transactions might go haywire with the SolMan.

While I can confirm I have the same settings as you, I don't have any specific issues with Introscope metrics from being collected.  Other than the version, are you seeing an issue with metrics on that Java system?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Billy

The 8.x agent comes with the solman 7.1 installation. The problem is that even after deploying the v9 agent, I cannot select it in the bytecode installation. I assume that there is a "switch" somewhere and SAP forgot to document it(which happend too many times). I even went into the agent admin and deploy the v9 wily agent application to the managed system SMD agent. Still I don't see the V9 agent under the bytecode screen.

We are trying to get Wily to collect stats for both PI and EP. I found that EP is working better, but there are lots of times when stats all of a sudden stop being collected especially on EP iviews. It will pick up again a day later. Wily 8 with PI is working even worse. Therefore, I was thinking to install Wily 9 which I am hopping is the latest and greatest. How is Wily working for your site?

Thanks,

Jonathan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

wily 9 can only supported by sap netweaver 7.1. thats te reason the setup guide asked you to deploy Version 9 and also keep Introscope Java agent 8 also. during manged system config, it decide which agent to choose.

you can see this information in the guide. hence may i ask the system DEP ~ Java is the netweaver 7.1 ?

Please check.

Thanks

Jansi

Former Member
0 Kudos

To complement answer please read Note 1565954 - Introscope 9 Release Notes:

10. The Introscope 9 Java agent only supports Java 5 or newer. This means that for Netweaver 7.0x and other systems running on Java 1.4 still the Introscope agent 8.x must be used. But of course Introscope agents 8.x can be connected to Enterprise Manager 9.x. Only the opposite connection (agent 9.x connecting to EM 8.x) is not possible.

To support a mixed deployment of 8.x and 9. x agents adequately, the following changes have been implemented for SolMan 7.1:

a) Introscope Java agent 9.x is packaged into a different software component ISAGENT_MIN_J5. This allows to deploy an 8.x and a 9.x java agent at the same time on Solution Manager 7.1. The software component information page on Solution Manager will then display two entries like this:

sap.com / ISAGENT 8 SP2 (8.2.2.0...)

sap.com / ISAGENT_MIN_J5 9 SP10 (9.1.0.0...)

1. b) Introscope agent setup in Solution Manager 7.1 automatically detects whether the managed system uses Java 5 or later and selects the right agent (8.x or 9.x) for this system.

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

@Johnathan currently I'm not the lead for PI or the relationships it has with systems like ECC, I have PI monitoring setup and am optimistic to find out how PI makes the business function...but like most things its crisis after crisis for other things.

Here is a screenshot of a NW Java 7.4 system I have and what shows up, and as you can see ontop of ISAGENT version 9, I have some differences that I need to fix EM = 9100 and the deployment agent is trying to go to 9.1.5.

francois_keen
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Jonathan

Even though it shows "8.2.4.0.2012-01-27" in the instrumentation version, if you click Apply, solman will definitely apply the right IS agent version onto the managed system. e.g. for a java 1.5+, SAP JVM 5+ managed system, when hitting the Apply button it will push the right ISAGENT_MIN_J5 agent.

in your screenshot, your managed system DEP must be a java 1.4/SAP JVM 4 system and it already has your latest JVM4 IS agent  ISAGENT 8.2.4.0.20120127

cheers

Francois

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, Francois! You are right. As you said, even though it is showing instrumentation version 8.2.4, when I click apply, it does push the Wily agent V9 to it. The version still shows "!= ccms" though. However, I don't think it matters. When I check the configtool, it is pointing to the V9 agent.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, can anyone help?

By the way, I have already installed the version 9 of the agent file(ISAGENTJ510P_3-10010975.SCA) via SDM as suggested in the documentation. However, in the bytecode installation screen, I can only see the V8 agent listed. Do I need to uninstall the V8 agent from SDM? How does the SMD know what agent to use?

I spent the last hour in google and got no answer. I have a feeling that the wily installation doc is missing something.

Thanks,

Jonathan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As I mentioned my earlier note, have you done your solman_Setup again, its te one take care of the smd sync , have you done?

you also need to restart your managed system after the agent installation, this is also mentioned in the guide?

if you done both, still is not solved, look at the logs in solution manager self diagnostics any logs? The step byte code agent deploy in Managed system config , solman_setup is green any logs there?

Thanks

Jansi

francois_keen
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Jonathan

After having imported the SCA file in solman via SDM

1]  restart diags agent of the managed system(s)

2] bytecode wizard : http://solmanhost.yourcompany.com:80<solman_system_number>/webdynpro/dispatcher/sap.com/tc~smd~navig...

as mentioned by Jansi that wizard can be accessed from the managed system setup in the "Configure Automatically" section, but the  link shown above enables you to select any of the <SID>s of the managed systems, this is way faster navigation than going through each of the managed systems setup...

Hope this helps

Francois

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Perhaps if you could provide a screenshot of what you are looking at, so everyone can be on the same page?

I think I know what you are talking about, you are looking at the Introscope probes?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Its not like that, you can go ahead for update of wily EM, no harm on bytecode agent, its get deployed automatically by smd, even system itself prompts you for activities in solman_Setup, you need to rerun after the upgrade.

refer here https://websmp104.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000019302012E and proceed.

Thanks

Jansi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Jansi

I don't understand your comment and am aware of the doc you mentioned.

My question is how can you update the Wily agent inside the solution manager so that when I push the agent in solman_setup to the managed system, the Wily agent will become version 9 instead of version 8 that comes with the solman 7.1 installation.

Thanks,

Jonathan.