cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How are SCN "categories" to be used?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Within the space there is a new category called "SAP Screen Personas". When you create new content (blog/discussion/document) you can assign this category to it. I'm currently unclear, though, what that achieves. From the SAP GUI space overview page there's no hint that I can find of the existence of this category. Even if you know it exists, it isn't clear, to me at least, what to do with it. How do I find content just within this category? How do I find SAP GUI content that isn't in this category - surely something people will want if they aren't Personas users? I've modified all of my Personas blogs to have this category attached, but I can't see a way to modify my discussions the same way.

Can somebody explain how categories should be used and why you might have a category rather than a sub-space? Just curious...

Steve.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am thinking it helps to browse content using the categories, like as follows:

http://scn.sap.com/community/gui/content?query=personas

Regards,

Tammy

Former Member
0 Kudos

But that's just a regular search and doesn't use the category at all. Now that you've made me look at the "Content" tab, though, I see that you can browse the category from there. Except that most of my discussions aren't in the category because I don't see how to change them, so in fact browsing the category is less useful than using a regular search.

I'm afraid I just don't see the point. I assume I'm missing something...

Steve.

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Maybe it is supposed to help?  If you click that category it narrows it down and then you can filter?

JasonLax
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Tammy is correct: categories appear on the content tab, top left.  When you click it, it will filter the content list for content where the category was selected. There's even a URL for the category: http://scn.sap.com/community/gui/content?filterID=content~category[sap-screen-personas]

This allows the classification of content within a space until a sub-space is warranted.  It's employed across SCN, such as on .

If the category doesn't apply, it need not be selected.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks. I'm still not convinced that they're better than a sub-space, but I guess there's less admin overhead for you guys.

Is there a way for me to apply this category to relevant discussions of mine that were created before the category existed, or does a moderator need to do that?

Thanks,

Steve.

JasonLax
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Sometimes a sub-space is not warranted because the topics are closely related and for the same audience. On spaces with lots of content, this is also a way to differentiate content into logical groups: see how it's applied in http://scn.sap.com/community/support/content

You would have to edit your content to select the category and you cannot edit a discussion thread that has been replies to. Therefore, an admin or moderator would have to do it.

cfgh
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Just wanted to add a bit more explanation about categories and how they differ from user tags.

In short, categories are a way of grouping together similar user tags to create more official metadata.

• Categories are "governed," meaning they are controlled by space owners as opposed to user tags which can be created by anyone
  • Categories are specific to an individual space and can only be applied to the content created in that space
  • Categories can only be assigned to content that's created in Jive (e.g. documents, blogs, documents); they can not be assigned to content stored in SCN's document management system (e.g. pdfs, media files, etc)
  • The categories themselves are generally sub-topics of the main topic in a space as Jason already mentioned above. We don't always want to create sub-spaces because that starts to silo related content whereas categories help users sift through content in one space.

And to answer your question about whether categories can be assigned to your discussions - yes, they can. Your previous posts are already showing in the "SAP Screen Personas" category because when the category was created several related user tags (e.g. personas, sap_screen_personas, etc) were associated with it. Since you tagged your discussions with these user tags they now show up when filtering by this category.

This may be more than you wanted to know about categories but i hope it helps clarify.

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's very helpful, thank you. They are starting to make more sense to me now.

Steve.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Sven Denecken,

are you talking about the section below the content body called “Properties.” in blogs and documents?  This is the section that allows you the author to select predefined metadata, like products, topics and industries.

if yes, then may have the answer

SDenecken
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Yes, thats the section I am refering to. Scott, any hint?

scott_lawley
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Sven, All,

We are working on a new concept for metadata based on user tags.  This functionality is not yet ready to roll out, but given that you no longer can see the Properties (product, topic, industry) leads me to believe that there is a bug.  I will report this to IT.  Thanks for pointing this out.  In the mean time, feel free to use the user tags.

Regards,

Scott

SDenecken
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Still not working... any news?

SDenecken
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Scott... still not working propperly... any news u got from IT?

JasonLax
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

The new meta tagging system has been live for a while. you should see multiple categories when you try to add tags by scrolling down.  If you don't see any, please try setting your browser zoom to 100%. 

SDenecken
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Here is what i see if I write a new blog, only one category.... no way to choose others.

Categories Help others find your content by selecting relevant categories

JasonLax
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

In that space, there is only 1 category created. Not all spaces have categories created. The space editors would need to be consulted to add another category (visit the space's people tab to see who they are).

You can use tags, managed and/or free, to tag or "categorize" content.

SDenecken
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Anyone experiencing the same problem? -> I can only see one category - the option of choosing meta tags and additional categories is gone... have tried with multiple browsers already...

cfgh
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Sven,

What space are you looking at? It's possible that there is only one category that's been created in the space.

Christine

SDenecken
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Currently the SAP Cloud Computing space. But all the options of choosing categories, events, industries, etc are gone...

The editor only shows: attach files, one category and tags...

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you may want to check Jason's comment from January 17 to this document:

Former Member
0 Kudos

"Access to this place or content is restricted."

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry, this is a link to content from moderators space, I did not recognize that you are  not a moderator, and missed to check in which space this question was raised.

I think can explain it himself.