cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reg : Archiving and Deletion in SAP PI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am implementing the deletion in SAP PI for the messages beyond 40 days. After setting the retention period and scheduling the deletion the messages beyond the dates are deleted successfully, but some recent messages(one day before) are also deleted.

After checking and comparing found that those recent messages are related to BPM and Synchronous.So, the two messages missing are having flow as-

POSDM --> BPM

BPM ---> POSDM

After reading blog - http://scn.sap.com/community/pi-and-soa-middleware/blog/2010/04/22/archiving-deletion-of-messages-in...

The LOGGING_SYNC is set to 1 in the PI system.I am not sure if this statement is somehow related to this missing messages.

When the logging_sync is set why the latest messages are getting deleted? Some other parameters need to be checked?

Please help!!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ambrish_mishra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi Nidhi,

It is not recommended to persist synchronous messages in production environment. So ideally you (basis team) should change the parameter to 0.

Also, you need to check the schedule of deletion jobs running in production apart from archiving. I would say 40 is too high unless client has a specific requirement (legal or audit). This would mean tables filling up and might choke the system. If I remember it should be around 15-20 days.

I will try and look into why your messages are deleted.

Ambrish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ambrish,

Even I read the blogs and got to know the same, that if we persist the synchronous messages the system can face performance issue. But its already set by basis to 1.

Actually its customer requirement only to keep messages for 40 days and to perform deletion activity beyond this limit. No archiving is required.

Do reply if you find anything in this context.

Thanks!

ambrish_mishra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nidhi,

I found a SAP note related to your query. https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/872388

Hope it helps!

Ambrish

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

marksmyth
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Nidhi,

Where exactly are you monitoring these messages, on the ABAP side or Java side? You mention that recent messages are also getting deleted. Are you 100% sure of this? Can you check if you can find the message in the SXMSPMAST table?

To do this, go to trx SE16 -> SXMSPMAST and enter the message ID.

Can you find the same message ID in the RWB -> Message Monitoring?

Perhaps it is just the Audit Log of the message that you are not able to view? See the notes below for more details:

1. 1314974 PI >= 7.1 AF Messaging System audit log persistence
  2. 1872758 How XI/PI messages are persisted in Adapter Engine

Regards

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

I am checking the messages on ABAP stack. The messages are missing and i am sure as i compared the messages of two consecutive dates and also sure those two messages are missing. Messages are not found in the table as well.

I will check the notes, and proceed if i get to understand something.

Meanwhile, actually two interfaces are involved here Sales and Loyality. Will try to explain the flow.

The messages are in flow as shown above. All other messages are available only these two are missing highlighted in red.

As logging_sync=1 so they are persisting but when delete job is running its lost while all other are available according to the retention period(40 days).

Do reply if anything strikes.

Thanks!

baskar_gopalakrishnan2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Logging sync is set  for the synchoronous messages to be persisted and show it in Sxmb_moni.. If you miss just one day before, i might want you to see your timestamp in addition to date setting. too. 

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Baskar,

Retention period is set in Days. If I have set 40 days how come messages are deleted for yesterday? Please see the screenshot in the above reply. Timestamp setting is checked somewhere else?

Also, only messages related to BPM and synchronous are missing, all other messages are there as per the retention period.

Do let me know if anywhere else to check the settings.

Thanks!

former_member194612
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Nidhi,

To my knowledge " logging_sync=1 " is used to persist the message in sxmb_moni.It will not delete the latest message.I feel problem may be with Schedule job. Can you check anywhere you are using the current date ..??

Thanks,

Satish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Satish,

We are not using any where the current date as per my knowledge. PFA the screenshot of the retention period. Also, there is one field related to idx5 references which I was not clear why this is used for?

Current date only is being used during delete job scheduling.

Please let me know if I need to check anywhere else.

Thanks!

former_member194612
Active Participant