cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resource Availability (RPM_EMPDATA)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have a requirement to define the resource availability as huge - something like 1000 hrs/day.

This will ensure that when this resource is staffed (on muletiple roles across projects), the system updates the staffing dates in each role in accordance to the role dates. Because this resource would never run out of available hrs on a particular day, the system always would assign the staffing dates. As we know, once the resource runs out of available hrs, the system does not automatically assign the staffing dates to it.

We defined the availability of the resource to 1000 hrs/day in RPM_EMPDATA. However, when we use this resource to staff in the project roles, the availability shows 99 hrs only. Not sure where we can set up so that this could show 1000.

The logic is, if the system allows to define resource availability (per day) as more than 24hrs, why can't it let us set that to 1000? And if yes, where is this to be defined?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member201206
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

independent if it makes sense or not from businsess point of view, the system behaviour  is strange as I tested. Upon 999 hrs/day, the maintained values get displayed. Once I changed to 1000, it switched to the 99 hrs.

As workaround, you can uses 999 hrs/day. Alternatively please open a customer message to let SAP to have a detailed look. Please use priority low for the message in this case.

Thanks and regards,

Zhenbo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

Only thing I could think of is to play around with the UoM and perhaps define a new custom unit for Hours which is equal to a 100 (or more) standard hours. The new UoM can be labeled hours so from user perspective they wouldn't know the difference. There are couple of master switches such as default assignment unit that you might have to change. I have not tried anything like this before, so you may have to do some testing to make sure it does not have any undesired impact anywhere else.

The other option which you probably would have though of already would be to do some custom development and let the system over allocate by default.

Just out of curiosity, what is the business reason for this. If you are intentionally over allocating resources, that means the resource management functionality is not being utilized the way it should be (i.e you are essentially saying that you have infinite capacity, and if you do have infinite capacity there is no need to manage resources to begin with). I believe the system behavior in this instance is correct although a master switch or config setting to control whether the system over allocates by default would have been nice.

Regards,

Lashan