cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Text" field Adaptation Mode: Max Length and real GDT in the SDK?

gregory_root
Advisor
Advisor

In production, I have utilized adaptation mode to add a "Text" field to a screen. The interesting thing is that the text in this field can be quite long. I have instances where the length of the text is near 2000 characters. I can even export this long text to Excel in the OWL.

However, from the SDK side of the world, I am trying to find the exact data type this adaptation mode "Text" field so that I can create a text-like field without having to resort to TextCollections.

Anyone have any ideas?

Best,

Greg

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member

As per this discussion, even an unrestricted data type without any dependent object can not store more than 255 characters. Still, I am interested to know the answer to your question. Will watch this thread.

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3403512

gregory_root
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Srivatsava,

This is EXACTLY why I'm asking the question. All the documentation states everything is cut off at 255 and TextCollections are the way to go. Yet the "text" extension field type is allowing entry of, storing, and exporting of strings nearing 1900 characters in our production system.

I look forward to "the answer". What do you think, ?

P.S. I should clarify that the production tenant is release 1302, not 1305.

ThomasSchneider
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

There is a difference between custom BOs (.bo) and extenions to SAP BOs (.xbo).

For custom BOs all data types are restricted to 255 characters on the database (see the documentation section 7.2.7 Basic Data Types, "Variables of unrestricted length, for example, variables of the LANGUAGEINDEPENDENT_Text data type, are truncated at a length of 255 characters as soon as they are saved to the database. For texts that are longer than 255 characters, use the TextCollection dependent object.")

For BO extension, the Text or LANGUAGEINDEPENDENT_EXTENDED_Text datatype is not restricted in length. In fact the documentation does not reflect this difference. I will ask my colleague to add this.

Best regards,

Thomas

gregory_root
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Thomas,

Thanks for asking your colleagues to enhance the documentation on this point.

I looked up the LANGUAGEINDEPENDENT_EXTENDED_Text  data type in the GDT document. I think it implies am length of 255, rather than unlimited. Can you confirm?

Greg

ThomasSchneider
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Greg,

I can only repeat my answer: In a custom BO, LANGUAGEINDEPENDENT_EXTENDED_Text is restricted as defined in the GDT document (this means limited). However, in BO extensions, this limitation is not in place.

I am really sorry for the confusion, but the differnce is due to the fact, that for text-like key user fields, we never had a restriction. So we decided to stick to this rule also for PDI find extension fields in XBOs. For custom BOs, we implemented the GDT concept.

Best regards,

Thomas

SAPjedi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Greg,

Hopefully you've made progress since Aug.

1. Did Thomas's suggestion work out ? That is, were you able to get more than 255 chars in the xBO text field ?

2. How can I setup the display of the text field to have multiple lines in the UI ?

Thanks,

Tim.

gregory_root
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Tim,

I don't remember what the exact scenario was. I've worked on so many prototypes since then. But, according to the discussion, if it is a BO extension, if you use the LANGUAGEINDEPENDENT_EXTENDED_Text type in a BO extension, the length will not be restricted. You'll have to verify this for yourself.

However, if you are trying to modify the number of lines to display for a BO extension, you have no control over that. It will always be one line. Sorry. 😞

Greg

ThomasSchneider
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Tim,

when using the "Add Extension Field" change transaction in the Extensibility Explorer, the UI control is fixed (for a text field it is a single-line text control). But you can enter more than 255 characters, as mentioned.

If you want to offer a multi-line text control, you have to create a embedded component (EC). In an EC, you are free to choose the multi-line text control and bind the extension field to it.

Best regards,

Thomas

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member191213
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Experts ,

I am seeking help on similar kind of issue , the concern is I have created a text field using studio with a data type "LANGUAGEINDEPENDENT_EXTENDED_Text". Its working perfectly fine on UI.

Problem is when I added this field on report and trying to fetch the full text value stored in this field ,report is only showing 60 Chars in the report not the full text entered in this field.

Could you guys please guide me that how to get the full value entered value in the report ?

For any further query on this please revert.

Thanks in Advance.

Best Regards

Ashish S

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ashish,

When you use long string in report it limitation to display only 60 character.

Regards,

Mithun

former_member191213
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks you so much Mithun for this.

But, Is there any other why that will solve my problem ?

I need one text area so that my user will fill their comment and able to see this on reports as well.

Thanks

Ashish S

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ashish,

We have same requirement but this is as per my knowledge not possible.

We have achieve using creation of PDF and make report in PDF with note fields and in PDF we can display more than 1000 character from.

Regards,

Mithun

former_member191213
Participant
0 Kudos

OK , Thanks Mithun.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ashish,

the limitation of maximum 60 chars for reports is a technical restriction based on underlying business analytics product design.

There are some workarounds however, which are based on SDK development (AEO Objects). If you are interested you can email me directly  (lgranats@gmx.de)

Best regards,

Leonid Granatstein