cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update tp and R3trans kernel 700

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello guys.

I'm in process to apply EHP 6 and need to update tp and R3trans.

The problem is the system has kernel 700, and I don't find updates for this version.

My question is. Can I use tp and R3trans version for kernel 720?

I have tried. My first problem was because the system didn't find libicuuc.so.34, libicudata.so.34, libicui18n.so.34 files, so I downloaded SAR file for kernel 720 and copied the files into the locations.

Now the problem is tp and R3trans doen't work properly. If I try an R3trans -d It shows me the error "Missing codepage information from library dboraslib.so"

I don't know If I'm doing the correct things.

The kernel will be updated during the EHP 6 application, so I don't want to do it now.

What should I do?

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member184473
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Andres,

This message is normally related to mismatch between the kernel files (tp, d+w, dboraslib, ...) and the server architecture.

Ensure you have the complete kernel extracted (SAPEXE and SAPEXEDB) before moving to your kernel folder.

Regards,

Eduardo Rezende

Answers (8)

Answers (8)

Former Member
0 Kudos

At no point do you suggest your OS. Kernel is OS/DB specific, and sometime you have specific tasks..example, In windows, run the compiler that comes with the kernel before starting up your instances. So maybe just be aware that sometimes its not as easy as pasting in files over the existing kernel.

former_member182034
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi Andres,

First try to update the kernel level which are currently having your system(You mentioned 700 while It is not available, You can use 720 ) and you can download via below path.

For TP and R3Trans File.

https://websmp207.sap-ag.de/support --.> Software Downloads --> Support Packages and Patches --> A-Z Index --> select K

SAP KERNEL 7.20 64-BIT UNICODE -> Select wrt OS -> #Database independent

here you can download only TP and R3Trans file

For Whole kernel.

https://websmp207.sap-ag.de/support --.> Software Downloads --> Support Packages and Patches --> A-Z Index --> select K

SAP KERNEL 7.20 64-BIT UNICODE

select wrt your OS

Please uncar the files after download,If you are using SUM tool for upgradation then go in SUM/abap/exe.

Here make a copy of exe as backup and paste the file in exe folder and Retry.

Note: Please first try with TP and R3Trans, hopefully, issue will be resolve. otherwise apply whole kernel

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

All of you were right.

First thing is that I was updating tp and R3trans in the SAP instance with kernel 700, and It is wrong. I have to do it in the shadow instance witch has kernel 720.

So after update de SAP instance kernel to 720 the upgrade process still said the tp and R3trans was too old. I then realize I had to update into de shadow instance.

After that I've been able to continue. But now I know I can't mix different kernels levels.

Thank you guys.

0 Kudos

I'd recommend using the latest supported environment. You may know that kernel 700 is out

of maintenance (see note 1629598), therefore, I'd upgrade to 7.20 kernel first as per note 1636252.

former_member189797
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Andreas.

## It is not necessary to upgrade the kernel before the upgrade but recommended. It will save you from lots of the issues during the upgrade.

## Your current kernel version is 700. You can download the latest 700 version kernel from the SMP.

SMP --> Download Center --> Support Package & Patches. --> Archive

Note that kernel 700 has now been replaced with 720 and higher version kernel so it might not be the latest. So you can always update the kernel to 720 or higher version which is supported for your system. You can check this using the PAM.

## Yes, kernel will be updated during the upgrade.

## Never mix the kernel from the different versions. It will cause many issues.

## Please check the Note 19466 for the kernel upgrade.

Let me know if you have any specific query.

Best Regards,

Gaurav

0 Kudos

Hello Andreas,

i would not mix the kernel tools.Using tp and r3trans from 720 and mix it with 700 kernel files is not a good idea. You get the problems you described. I think there are some libraries linked that dont fit together.

There is a reason if the files from 700 are not available anymore.

Use a complete kernel build - you will need it anyway after the upgrade.

It will save you even from some potential errors if you install it before the EHP6 Upgrade.

Therefore i would download following files (if your database is oracle):

1. 720_EXT2 for Oracle Aix 64bit  Database independent

2. disp+work and R3trans package in newer version than the version of corresponding number 1.

3. 720_EXT2 for Oracle Aix 64bit  Oracle

4. Database Library and R3Load in newer version than the version of corresponding number 3.

unpack the file in one folder in the following order:

1. Kernel Part I  (SAPEXE)

2. Kernel Part II (SAPEXEDB)

3. disp+work package (dw_*.sar)

4. all others

There you are. Install the kernel and enjoy!

Alex

willi_eimler
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Andres,

you can do a kernel update from 700 to 720 before you start the EHP6 update.

Best regards

Willi Eimler

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would replace the whole kernel, that should represent no problem at all.

Regards, Juan