cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from SAP GUI 7.20 to 7.30 on clients with new installation server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all

We want to upgrade from SAP GUI 7.20 to SAP GUI 7.30 (some of them are already 7.30 SP 0) soon but I have the following problem:

On many (200+) of our clients SAP GUI wasn't installed from an installation server but from a local source. Therefore I created a .reg file which changes the source in the registry as follows:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SAP\SAP Shared]

"SapCreateKey"=dword:00000000

"SAPSetupDir"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\SAP\\SAPsetup"

"SAPsourcedir"="\\\\<netshare>\\InstServer"

"SAPDestDir"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\SAP\\FrontEnd"

"SAPsysdir"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\SAP\\FrontEnd\\SapGui"

When I now start the GUI on a client (Windows 7, SAP GUI 7.30 SP 0) and try to get an upgrade notification from the server (open it max. 10 times), nothing happens. I first though this is caused by the missing share so I created a .bat to get a share with "net use":

net use \\<netshare>\InstServer

Windows says the command was executed successful but the update notification still doesn't show up.

Anything else I have forgotten? Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Jann

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member218171
Participant
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Unfortunately this note is not helpful because it only affects configuration files for message servers and other stuff I don't need.

Thank you anyway!
Jann

david_winter2
Explorer
0 Kudos

On Windows 7 there's a file under C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP\SapSetup\setup\Updater\WkstaUpdater.cfg

On my one it contains this:

[SAPSetupIndexedServers]

NumServers=2

Server1=\\server\sap\sapguiinst730\setup

Does updating that help?

David

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

I have tried there but its throwing me error: Restricted access. I have sap gui 7.20 installed. Is there any way i can update it? Please suggest.

rgds

manish

david_winter2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Manish,

If you get a restricted access error then it seems the server location the update is located at  is restricted - check the file permissions on the share?

We ended up emails our users a batch / CMD file they could run to update manually, remote users we sent instructions on how to download a single file installer for the gui and update that way.

With GUI 7.30 this update method has been removed and you now have to use the Workstation update service for future updates - the service needs installing with the GUI.

David.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

I was able to get it online.

Warm Regards,

Manish.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you David, in the file there was Disabled=true which caused the workstations not to update. In between I choose a batch file as Alexander suggested to push the new version to our clients.

Thank you all!

Jann

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jann,

the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node seems to come from a 64bit operating system. Please check your client runs 64bit too or change the name of the reg key.

Thinking a minute longer about this problem, I don´t see there a chance to switch on an automatic update service just by changing a reg file. If you install a Gui and a Update Service from an installation server, there will also be a task installed. (in our case it ist locatedin C:\Programme\SAP\SAPsetup\setup\Updater\NwSapAutoWorkstationUpdateService.exe). Could you please check your client with local installation has this task and it is running?

And there still remains the way of creating a batch file to deinstall the gui and then install the new version from the server again

cheers and good luck

Alexander