cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

startsap giving "Exec format error. Wrong Architecture"

Former Member
0 Kudos

We recently took replicated file systems of our production environment and mounted them to a sandbox server.  The goal is to stand up this system sap instance on that sandbox server.

I was able to change the sap profiles, tnsnames, listener.ora files, change the environment variable files located at “/home/<sid>adm” and was able to start the DB with no problem.  R3trans works.

The issue  I am having is I receive this error below when executing “startsap”

“/usr/sap/<SID</SYS/exe/run/startsap: Exec format error. Wrong Architecture.”

This is the environment we are running on :

uname -a

Linux lxqsappluto 2.6.32-279.22.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Feb 6 03:21:30 EST 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Any ideas why I might be receiving this error?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

mmaglis
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

Has the issue been resolved?

Please share with us.

In any case please do not forget to eventually close this thread and award some points if we've been of any help.

Regards,

Menelaos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes Maglis, it is not a supported method.  Good you pointed that out however, it reminded us to investigate in different ways.

Americo, I am not certain of the cause but the output to the command “file /usr/sap/<SID</SYS/exe/run/startsap” was “data”.  I was expecting it to be some kind of information confirming it was a executable.

We ended up coping the startsap and stopsap executable to that directory from our Production system. The instance came up after that. We are looking into what caused the corruption.

Thank you all for the input.

0 Kudos

Yes Michael, exactly. The start/stopsap scripts are "executable" programs.

Perhaps a problem with sapcpe cause this corruption..

Thanks for sharing.

Americo.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

Can you provide us the output of the ' file ' command ?

file /usr/sap/<SID</SYS/exe/run/startsap

thanks,

Americo.

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

As a workaround could you just replace the kernel on sandbox with the latest once from SAP marketplace. It should take care of missing dependencies on the sandbox.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

mmaglis
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

Regardless of the fact that this is not a "supported" method to create a system copy, your problem seems to be "Wrong Architecture". Are both original and sandbox systems on the same architecture, that is x86_64? Otherwise, you cannot use these SAP executable programs.

I would also suggest to use the SAP Homogeneous (or Heterogeneous) System Copy guides.

Have a look at Note 885343 - SAP System Landscape Copy

and in particular the SAP System Landscape Copy for SAP NetWeaver and SAP Solutions:

https://service.sap.com/~sapidb/011000358700003128302006E

Best regards,

Menelaos Maglis