Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AS2 and SFTP adapter

rasjoshi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I want to know wat is diff betwen AS2 and SFTP adapter...both are used for B2B scenario. both needs certificates and keys....also which adapter we will prefer for wat scenario??

Regards,

Rashmi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

S0003485845
Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Rashmi,

AS2 is a direct Point-2-Point Connection, which allows the Sender (due to the signed MDN) to be 100% sure that the data has been received on the partner side and could be processed correct.

For example if your partner has some difficulties in decrypting the data, then you will automatically get a negative MDN and be aware about this.

In sFTP, you upload the data to an sFTP-Server and therefor you only know, that the file has been uploaded there, but you don´t know if your partner has already picked up the file from there...

AS2 is most commonly used in EDI-scenarios, but can of course be used for any kind of data. It is used a lot in the Retail-Area (big retail chains connecting their suppliers) but also in the Banking-Sector.

KInd Regards

Stefan

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ryan for your reply. And i agree with the point that it depends on the requirement as per the client. In our case they agreed to use SFTP adapter with PGP encryption.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Could you please let me know which one to prefer for bank communication scenario and why ?

Thanks

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Varun,

- As2 works on HTTP protocol aka Transport Layer Security

- AS2 performs encryption using Digital Signatures and their corresponding algorithms.

- SFTP works on SSH Protocol aka Network Layer Security.

- SFTP transmissions typically uses PGP Encryption.

The decision between either of them is more a Infrastructure availability, vs downstream system vs Firewall/ Security experts decision.

In my experience, banks typically prefer SFTP with PGP. Havent seen banks using AS2 as a transmission protocol.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Bhavesh, we also prefer to go with the SFTP and suggested client to use SFTP for bank communications.

Ryan-Crosby
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Varun,

We have all bank communications handled via AS2 - I think it all depends on your requirement as far as what type of messages you are sending/receiving and if you need acknowledgement or other special handling that you would not get with SFTP.

Regards,

Ryan Crosby

ambrish_mishra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rashmi,

AS2 adapter is specifically for EDI scenarios (ANSI X12 or EDI FACT) while sFTP adapter is used for general file scenarios.

There is wealth of information available on AS2 adapter... just google it

Ambrish

0 Kudos

Hi Rashmi,

AS2 adapter is used for EDI scenarios which having large and complex data and sFTP adapter is used for any file scenario.

Please go through below link for AS2 adapter:
http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/d095b2df-9fa3-2d10-568b-d12d99828...

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3158558

Regards,

Prabhat Kumar Ranjan