cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

32-bit and 64-bit Oracle clients question

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are running a Migration to SAP ERP project and are utilizing the following software:

BI Platform 4.0 SP6

BI Client Tools 4.0 SP6

BO Data Services 4.1 SP1

BO Information Steward 4.1 SP1 patch 2

SAP Rapid Deployment Solutions to SAP ERP 2.4

Our application servers are VM Windows 2008 R2 64-bit

Our CMS/Audit Datbase is Oracle 11g

Our Data sources will be various (Access, Excel, ManMan, Baan, etc.)

Question: We have installed Oracle 11g 64 bit client on our application servers. Should the Oracle 32-bit client also be installed on our application servers?  I see many references to the need for side-by-side installations of both clients on each Application Server. I've seen examples of other installations where they share a common home folder.

I am requesting the 32-bit client because we use Rapid Deployment Solutions and its 300 canned Webi Reports use UNV universes, which use native 32 bit client for connection. This seems to imply to me that I need both clients on my servers.

The BASIS here is saying it's not necessary and the 64-bit client will suffice. They indicated that I should just add the 32-bit client to local laptops if needed. on a case by case basis.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,

Chris Sheridan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

This is Miller Li from the Rapid Data Migration solution, I am package build lead for this, thank you very much for using the Rapid Data Migration solution,  I have four recommendations here to you:

1.Data Services 4.1 is a 64-bits application, so only 64 bit client for oracle is required for the Data Services 4.1 if you use the Oracle as stage database or repository for data migration solution, you need to install the 64 bit oracle client in the server(or laptop) where Data Services was installed.

2.BI4.x client tools is a 32-bits application so 32 bit client for oracle is required for Information Designer Tool, you can see the following notes for details:

1599641 - BI 4.0 Error Creating New Connection
1543510 - CS:DBDriver failed to load : C:<INSTALL DIR>\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI4.0\dataAccess\connectionServer\dbd_oci.dll (%1 is not a valid Win32 application.) in Universe Designer or Information Design Tool

3.Please note you downloaded the old version for data migration solution for note 1710056,which already retired, if you just started the deployment for this solution, please try to download the latest version from note 1791183(Rapid Data Migration to SAP ERP and SAP CRM V1.41), which have already been tested on DataServices4.1, but old version was only tested on DS4.0.

4. Please create OSS message to SAP component SV-RDS-EIM, my team monitors the customer ticket daily but nobody from my team checks the message in SAP SCN.

Thanks,

Miller

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

AndyG
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

Which SAP rapid-deployment solution did you implement?

Thanks,

Andy

Former Member
0 Kudos

After consulting SAP Note 1710056 for the latest links, we deployed:

1. Data Services Content (SP00 for RDS DS CONTENT V2)  (DSCONTENT00 0-20009757.ZIP) 5-9-12

2. SAP RDS BIP CONTENT V1 (Support Packages and Patches) OS Independent

(BIPCONTENOOP 1-10011590.ZIP 11-9-2012  (patch) and

BIPCONTENT_0-10011590.ZIP SP00 for SAP RDS BIP CONTENT V1 6-19-2012

3. SAP RDS Migration Services V1 OS Independetn

(MIGRATION00P 1-10011631.zip - Patch for SAP RDS Migration Services V1 SP00 2-28-2013

I had the BASIS Team go ahead and install both the 32 and 64 bit client following the instructions outlined here :  http://bihappyblog.com/tag/businessobjects-4-0-oracle-32bit/  

But they would still like to understand why both clients are necessary in a 64-bit Windows 2008 R2 Server, as would I ...

thanks,

Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rapid Data Migration to SAP ERP v. 14.1