cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDoc Null Pointer Exception - PI 7.3 Java Only

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

I am facing one weired issue  after updating the patch.

Current Environment :  PI 7.3 Java only stack. 

Scenario :   File to Idoc  -  ( Using  Idoc Extension)

1. Current interface- is File to Idoc interface and it was working fine .  Here we are using extended Idoc as externaal definition.  ( We required to do that to change the Idoc occurance ). 

2. Earlier we find some Temporary  issue that some time Idoc stuck in SM58 .  TID persistance issue . So SAP recommedn sap note and ask to update the patch level to latest one for 

As of now we have updated the below patch.

Component -> Old Patch version-> New Patch version

SAP_XIAF 7.30 SP5 PATCH 4 7.30 SP5 PATCH 58

J2EE-APPS 7.30 SP5 PATCH 0 7.30 SP5 PATCH 13

ENGFACADE 7.30 SP5 PATCH 0 7.30 SP5 PATCH 11

SERVERCORE 7.30 SP5 PATCH 0 7.30 SP5 PATCH 73

ENGINEAPI 7.30 SP5 PATCH 0 7.30 SP5 PATCH 23

BASETABLES 7.30 SP5 PATCH 0 7.30 SP5 PATCH 0

3.   Now after patch update  Outbound interface  ( Idoc -> File)   is working  but Inbound Idoc ( File-> Idoc) is not working.  We are getting

"Exception caught by adapter framework: Error during transform: java.lang.NullPointerException: while trying to invoke the method java.lang.String.length() of an object loaded from local variable 'chars'  "

"java.lang.NullPointerException: while trying to invoke the method java.lang.String.length() of an object loaded from local variable 'chars'"

4.  SAP reccommed SAP  note -1862655, 1801511 .    so as per the one of the Sap note we are already update the patch. 

5. Note -1862655 ->  Says that  SAP introduced  Stricter Control Record checking  , so  the interface name should be in <MSGTYP>.<IDOCTYP>.<CIMTYP>.

6.  Here as we are already using external defintion ( schema is same as IDOC).  and I am using current namespace.  so which I can not change.

7. and current schema/ mapping not change, as interface was working fine earlier. 

8. the SAP note says Interface should pass  CIM type , I checked the payload after mapping and its passing  MSTYPE, IDOCTYPE, CIMTYPE . so its mean payload contains the value as required. 

I have tried all the option  at receive adapter level while selcting option for Control records to take control records from  paylaod .  

Sap replied that I should use 1862655    that is fine ....  but where are what  when I am using external difiniion ...

I have restarted related service and restart  the PI system...

regards

Ram Singhal 

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ram,

Solved.

I did change the Interface name and the name space in the ICO manually to IDOC name and standard name space for IDOCs respectively.

It worked for me.

Thanks

Shyam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shyam,

I have the same error but I don't know how to fix it. What do you mean with "I did change the Interface name and the name space in the ICO manually to IDOC name and standard name space for IDOCs respectively."? What is ICO?

Thanks for the help.

JaySchwendemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

ICO is integrated configuration. In former days there were only dual stack PI systems. Most scenarios then needed to pass through java stack to abap stack and back again to be processed. This is costly. ICO scenarios happen only in java stack hence should perform better.

About resultion of the problem:

1. you may either use a default sender port (please check if this applieas to dual stack systems also if you happen to run on one) http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1653715

2. or you may give a dummy value in message mapping for SNDPRT SNDPOR and see if that helps.

Cheers

Jens

Message was edited by: Jens Schwendemann

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jens,

I finally fixed my error. I was using another interface instead of using directly the IDoc I imported. In the operation mapping I put as the target operation the IDoc I need it and it worked.

Thanks for everything.

JaySchwendemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Glad your issue was resolved.

Cheers

Jens

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ram,

Do you have a solution for this?

I am using the same scenario and I am getting the same error for my scenario in PI 7.4 system for using IDOC as external definition.

I am unable to create an interface with <MESTYP>.<IDOCTYP> with the name space as urn:sap-com:document:sap:idoc:messages. How could I change this?

Is this in the WSDL file of the IDOC structure imported as external definition into PI system?

please let me know. I am stuck at this moment.

Thanks

Shyam

JaySchwendemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Did you resolve this?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jens,

Do you have a solution for this?

I am using the same scenario and I am getting the same error for my scenario in PI 7.4 system for using IDOC as external definition.

I am unable to create an interface with <MESTYP>.<IDOCTYP> with the name space as urn:sap-com:document:sap:idoc:messages. How could I change this?

Is this in the WSDL file of the IDOC structure imported as external definition into PI system?

please let me know. I am stuck at this moment.

Thanks

Shyam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi jens,

Solved.

I did change the Interface name and the name space in the ICO manually to IDOC name and standard name space for IDOCs respectively.

It worked for me.

Thanks

Shyam